Urgent please help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiKiKee10

Hello,
I need urgent help for a sick young (2 years old) chinchilla. I left my chinchilla with a friend while I went on a 2 week vacation. When I came back (today), my chinchilla is extremely skinny and nearly lifeless. She is moving and walking around but when I go to touch her she is off balance, almost wobbly.
My friend admitted she may have forgot to feed her a few days and needless to say, I was furious.
I called all the emergency vet in my area, which is the only vet open at this time and they said it would cost me $1,000+ to help my chinchilla. I really can't afford this and the normal vets cant see her for another 3 days.
I am afraid she won't make it. I have given her water, hay, pellets, and banana chips (her favorite treat) so that she can eat something. She usually devours banana chips but she is eating very slowly.
Is there anything you think I can do? DIY critical care? sugar water?

Please help,
Thanks

When a chinchilla has not been fed for that amount of time, there is little that can be done unless there is emergency care, when the digestive system is empty for that long, it will shut down and eventually die, along with the chin, only emergency meds and care can possibly work but even then its a long shot, can you at least afford a vet visit? To let the chin suffer like this is not cool, PTS is a better option.

Back