Things toxic and dangerous to hedgehogs

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy

Hooked on Hogs
I'm starting a thread for things that are toxic and dangerous to hedgehogs. Once everyone writes what they want, I'll compile it into a FAQ.

Grapes - are toxic to most small animals including hedgehogs. They cause renal, liver and organ failure.
Raisins - are not only toxic but can get caught in the roofs of their mouths.

Tea Tree oil - this includes, tea tree shampoo, tea trea oil, tea tree sprays and anything tea tree. This can be fatal in as little as one dose or application. It causes renal, liver and complete organ failure.

Avocados - Many people feel avocados are toxic, others feel they are safe. Personally, I would not risk it.

Ivermectin - Injected ivermectin has been the cause of many hedgehog deaths yet it has also been widely used on many hedgehogs with no problem. When a safe alternative is available, Revolution, it is simply not worth the risk to use ivermectin.
Topical and oral ivermectin has been linked to an increased risk of bladder cancers.

Nuts & seeds - can get caught in the roofs of their mouth and there is a risk of them digging an eye out will trying to claw out the nut. Nuts are fattening and provide minimal nutritional benefit.

Chocolate

Milk, dairy products - hedgehogs are lactose intolerant and cannot digest dairy. Leads to upset stomach and diarrhea.

Junk food of all types - for the same reasons it is unhealthy for humans

Ethoxyquin
BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole)
BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene) -"Toxic" may not be the right word here, but the following artificial preservatives in pet food are suspected to cause serious health issues in animals including cancer, kidney disease, birth defects, liver disease, and so on. Read the labels on the food and avoid them if the products contain any of the followings:

Polysporin and Neosporin Pain Relief or Extra Strength - Regular original Polysporin is safe to use. Any other formulas are toxic.

I have a question, I was told hedgies can't eat potatoes but then I read somewhere that you can feed them mashed potatoes. Anyone have any advice for me on that? I don't have a hedgie yet but any information I can get before hand would be great.

This probably falls under the "nuts and seeds" heading, but apple seeds contain a cyanide compound. If you feed your hedgehogs apples or applesauce, be very careful that they do not accidentally consume a seed. In humans, it would take a fair amount of seeds to pose a significant risk, but hedgehogs are much, much smaller.

I have a question, I was told hedgies can't eat potatoes but then I read somewhere that you can feed them mashed potatoes. Anyone have any advice for me on that? I don't have a hedgie yet but any information I can get before hand would be great.
I'd say that goes for raw potato, as it does for most raw vegetables.

Yes Lil_Branchette, onions are considered toxic.
I would add onion powder to the list, too. Also: bread, raw carrots, and celery.

Really raw carrots?? Is there a reason raw veggies are worst then cooked? I fed Squee a little bit of yellow pepper last night, he only had a bite - but are those ok? Also cheese. I know their lactose intolerant, but does a bite of cheese hurt?

I found the following pertaining to human consumption of raw potatoes. Don't panic, I believe you have to consume about a half dozen raw potatoes to become seriously ill, so it probably won't happen on accident. But I can certainly see how a little bit might be bad for a tiny critter.

"All potatoes contain substances known as glycoalkaloids. The most common in potatoes are solanine and chaconine. Light reacts with these substances to turn potato flesh green. The green parts of a potato are a guide to where these substances tend to accumulate which is just below the potato skin. Ingested in large quantities these toxic compounds could lead to coma or even death. In smaller quantities the most likely effects are diarrhoea, headaches and stomach cramps. Fortunately these toxic substances are eliminated by thorough cooking. Solanine is the toxic substance found in deadly nightshade which indicates the potential seriousness of eating uncooked potatoes which are, in any case, hard to digest and unpleasantly flavoured. The only recent cases of solanine poisoning lined to potatoes have been the result of drinking potato leaf tea or green potatoes. When potatoes trun green it is an indication of higher concentrations of solanine and these parts should be cut out or the potato discarded without eating even after it has been cooked."

I just bought Blue Buffalo weight control cat food for my hedgie and she loves it! However I did see that there is some flax seed in the ingredients. Is that ok since it is ground up in the kibble? Or is it just the size of an individual seed that is dangerous to them?

Flax seed in foods is fine as is a few drops of flax seed oil on their food. Flax seed oil is great for helping with dry skin either internally or externally.

I'm so happy that I read this because I have this brand of hedgehog treats, it's called ultra bites for hedgehogs, it contains raisins and seeds in it. My Hedgie avoided it which now I'm thankful for.

some plants are toxic to animals. for example, Chrysanthemum (mums) are toxic to hedgehogs!

Back