another 'Think real hard before you breed'

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday one of my females was having a real hard time delivering a baby. I finally had to help her by pulling on the kit as she contracted. After a minute or 2 working together the kit finally came out. It was huge and smelt to high heaven. I waited a couple of hours to see if she would deliver any more, knowing no matter what I was going to have to take her to the vet for some antibiotics because of the 'rotten fetus'. Nothing happen so I then took her to the vet - hoping that there wasn't any more kits. If there was a c-section and probably spay would have to be done. Fortunately there were no more babies and she was put on antibiotics. Yesterday she did not look well at all. Today she looks a little more bright eyed. She however isn't eating and has to be forced fed, which I expected, since the female chins are often depressed when a live birth does not happen after a pregnancy. If you have a weak stomach you don't want to breed because believe me it was no picnic pulling the decayed fetus out and then dealing with it.

Oh no I am so sorry that pregnancy went wrong....I hope she will feel better very soon ....I am so scared to get another chin ...a lot of pet stores don't know how to sex them, and some owners who let them go dont know what they are either.... if I ever do Im buying from a breeder and making sure we have two of the same sex..Ty for sharing to educate others ...Im sorry for the loss of the kit

I had a similar issue and even with antibiotics Oklahoma went toxic and died. By the time we knew there was an issue (the night she delivered with assistance) the toxicity was in her bloodstream. Breeding is not for the faint of heart

Back