Chinchilla not pooping

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexann0417

Hello there! I am new to this community but have had my chin babies for about 6-7 years now. I just noticed this morning that my boy chinchilla is not pooping at all. Also, he hasn't eaten anything but drinks his water here and there. He is being much lazier than he normally is as well. Overall, he looks healthy, there is no oozing of anything anywhere, eyes are clear and ears aren't red. Although a few times i noticed that he would make this tight heaving position and look strained with his ears down and make these tiny little noises. There is no way I can get him to the vet, I don't know what is wrong with him, if he is constipated or what. What can i do to help him

Thank you so much in advance to any help or guidance

He is constipated, there are a few things that could cause it and none of them are good or likely to resolve on their own. You have to see a vet ASAP. As in today.

Thank you for your reply, sadly there is no way i am able to get him to a vet. Plus there are none near me for two hours. I bought some pedialyte, baby infant gas drops, baby food and baby enema. I suppose all i can do now is hope for the best

Your chin needs a vet, even if you have to drive a couple hours. Once a chinchilla stops pooping for more then a few hours it becomes an emergency. Within about 12-24 hours the gut bacteria start to die and you will need probiotics and gut stimulant meds to get it going again. I doesn't matter how much food you try to push into the chin, it wont be able to digest it if the gut has stopped.

The gas drops might work if the issue is gas, but I would not use baby food, or the enema. The baby food is not right for chinchillas unless you somehow are able to find hay or alfalfa baby food with no additives, if it's got any fruit, vegetables, sugar, or dairy in it it's no good and will cause digestive upset. It's ok to add a very tiny bit for flavor too the food, but a tiny bit of pumpkin would be a better choice, but still not as the food, just flavoring. If you can't get any other food just grind up his actual pellets and water for hand feeding. However if it's a blockage causing it, force feeding him can make it worse and kill him.
The enema is very dangerous, if you use too much force, you could very easily rupture the gut and kill the chin, that should be done by a vet. Even though you got the baby one, a human baby is much much bigger then a chinchilla.

Back