New owner; really confused

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eclipseparadisw

A few days ago I went to a pet store to get a chin. I seemed to really jump in without thinking. I bought it a large cage , plenty of hay and high quality chin food, it has a house, a wheel, some toys , and it's dust bath. However I made the mistake of trying to handle it on the first day. Now it seems to hate me. I can't sit near the cage without it barking and making a hissing noise and jumping towards me. I can't even reach in the cage to get her food or hay without her barking. I also believe I have the wrong bottom for her cage. I bought a chinchilla kit but the bottom seems to be plastic and I understand they can't have plastic bottoms. I'm really at a lost and in scared that I may have caused her to hate me forever. Does anyone have any type of advice or knowledge that they can instill on a new chin owner?

Chins are prey animals. They can stress out very easily. If you just go this chin then it just had everything it knew changed. New home, new ppl, new cage, new sights, new smells, new sounds... new everything. It can stress some of them out a lot. Which will cause them to be highly defensive like you are describing.

It takes time for them to adjust. This one might take longer. The last few i had took about 2 months to adjust some. So it can take a while. Just give it time.

What kind of cage and supplies did you get? Its highly unfortunate, but big chain petstores are not known for chin quality products, and sell many many bad things for them.

It will take time. When you have the free time, just sit in the room with your chin. Read a book or watch tv. Let her come to you. Maybe have a treat by you. A routine of some sort will help her adjust to the new surroundings. Keep her rom dark during the day so she can sleep-a big change from a well lit pet store! And with time, she will adjust to you. You're doing just fine!!

as was stated it takes time and patience. Talk to the chin a lot. Put your hand in the cage and don't move it toward the chin. Let the chin get used to your hand without feeling threaten by it. Take it slow and the chin will come around. Pet stores are know to sell people all the wrong things for chins. By 'high quality food' what brand did you get? If it wasn't either Oxbow Essentials or Mazuri it is pure junk. Also pet store sell only plastic or dangerous metal mesh wheels that are way too small. The plastic one are, of course, dangerous also. All treats sold at pet stores are harmful also

Back