Troubled chinchilla...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tjchinchillanewbie

Just got myself an ebony female chinchilla 3 days ago for the price of two regular ones, I was happy at first. It seem normal and curious before purchase, however when it's in the cage I provided, it started the cold treatment where it would only moves or eat when I'm gone; when I come around it would jump up on top of the dust box and stood there for hours like an owl... I had chinchillas previously and they weren't behave like this before. I :banghead:can't return it to pet stores so I'll be stuck with this depressing fellow for the rest of its life, so fraustrating.

First, price means nothing. If you thought that would make it "special," it doesn't. Second, I am sad to hear that you consider yourself "stuck" with a new pet. If you have had chins before, then I'm sure you know that they have distinct personalities. It is also normal for a chin to behave this way in a new home because they are scared, they don't know you, they don't know the smells in your home or the sounds. There is an adjustment period for most chins when they go to a new home. Your unfortunate new pet is just settling in - give him/her (you said it, so I don't have any idea what sex the chin is) time to adjust to your home, then start working on a building a friendship with him/her. Some chins adjust in a day, some in 5 days, and some it takes months. It all depends on the personality and background of that particular chin.

i agree! give her some time, for sure. especially if you've had chinchillas before, i find it odd that you'd think your new chin would acclimate completely in 3 days. do NOT give up on her, chins can sense your moods towards them. (if she thinks you dont want anything to do with her, then she wont want anything to do with you. thats no way for either of you to live!!!) keep trying, every single day. talk to her talk to her talk to her! spend time near the cage, doing anything. she will get used to your voice, your scent, your movements. she will come around and love you. first off, stop calling her an "it" decide on a name, and LOVE her no matter what.

Back