Introducing New Chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoganLynn

I have just begun the introduction phase for my two boys and I had a couple of questions!

Sorry in advance for a lengthy post:

Some background on my chinchillas, I bought my first boy Pip from PetCo along with another chinchilla he was housed with there. I separated them when I got home for observation and so they had time to adjust and bond with me. After they had adjusted I put their cages next to one another but they quickly seemed interested in each other and I would always find them sleeping in the corners of their cages closest to each other. So I ended up letting them play together much sooner than I ever would, and they got along so well! They were very quickly attached to each other, constantly cuddling and grooming one another! Unfortunately I noticed my other chin (his name was Bex) seemed pretty sick. To save you a long story I ended up (after several tears and long angry conversations with PetCo employees) giving back Bex to PetCo because he was very ill as he had received horrible care before he ever came to me. So sadly Pip ended up alone in his cage without his friend and I was heart-broken for him. However, because of the long time I spend with my boys I gained an incredible bond with Pip. He's a smart boy who comes when I call his name and loves to jump all over me while making happy chin noises! However he seems so sad when I go to bed because he cannot play with me.

I began to think that getting Pip a buddy would be a good idea and I was hopeful that they could get along! I am fully aware that they may not ever get along but I am going to do everything in my power to help them along! I also wanted and felt like I was ready to get a second chinchilla, as I have time to care for both but obviously if they could get along that would be great!

I have recently acquired the new chinchilla, Ruka, from a breeder in Nebraska. He's the sweetest little boy ever and is very curious. Definitely a more passive chinchilla! I have enjoyed the time getting to bond with him (I quaratined him for about a month) before putting him next to Pip. At first Pip seemed a little upset about the newcomer which did not surprise me at all. Pip is very rambunctious and loving but also demanding of attention. So after a week I noticed Pip began to calm down and they would often reside in the sides of their cages closest to each other. I would even find them sleeping there. I decided to let them play together but I was a little nervous. There was sniffing, and they mostly ran around doing whatever until the crossed paths. When they crossed paths Pip began to jump on Ruka and chase him. I intervined because it seemed like Pip would not stop chasing him unless I had gotten between them. Then I noticed Pip had a tuft of fur in his mouth. I immediately put them both back in their cages for the night.

SO I have never had this issue and I wanted some advice. Do they just need more time to adjust to each other while being separated in their cages? Or do you think Pip's behavior towards Ruka (apparently biting out a tuft of fur) warrants complete separation forever? I really am not sure if I should continue to try and bond them or if this is a sign they wont get along. Anything you have to tell me would be greatly appreciated. I am okay with them being housed separately but I want to try everything I can (I am willing to be VERY patient) in order to get them together. Thanks for reading my long post!!!:)

I would take the fur pulling and chasing as a sign to just slow down. Go back to just having them separate for about a week or so, let them both cool off, then try play time again. If you can I would also try short play times, so they end on a good note before any fighting starts. It sounds more like Pip is just trying to assert dominance over Ruka, they need to sort of peaking order, though obviously fur pulling is bad. Intros can sometimes take months of slow introductions, you can't really go too slow. Unless blood is actually drawn, then I don't think it's time to give up completely yet.

Back