Awful smell/anointing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anshin

KCCO
So, Rigby just got a bath yesterday, but I think after what I just found will lead to another scrub down. I believe I caught him during "boy time". I'm not sure, he was curled into a ball & practically vibrating. No big deal, it's "boy time" & that happens. However, a few minutes later, I checked on him again & he's anointing in various spots of his body & there is an awful smell at the top of his head. Honestly, & excuse my language, but it smells like dog sh*t. I do not know how/when/WHY he would have gotten such a disgusting sent rubbed all over his head, but he did. Maybe it's a combination of his own spit & chicken dog treats I give him. Maybe it's his "boy time" mess, I don't know. I have no idea what that smells or looks like.

Boy time mess doesn't smell, if that is what was causing the smell then something is wrong. It could very well be from the treats. Do you have other pets? Hedgehogs are attracted to strong smelling things, not necessarily nice smelling things. I had a hedgie who loved dirty socks for anointing, the stinkier the better. I have heard of hedgies who have anointed with dog poop. Hedgies are weird.

Same thought here.

Boy time isn't stinky; it's sticky. Very sticky. But no real odor.

My guess is may have something to do with the chicken dog treats (most pre-packaged treats aren't terribly good for hedgies) or that he managed to get access to some other stinky thing and anoint with it.

Did he poop and happen to shove his head in it? Maybe while being distracted with other activities. I've had them do that during transport when they are balled up in a small space.

We do have dogs, which is probably where that smell came from, must have been a bit of one of their mess he picked up.
As for the chicken treats go, it could have been that. They're the Full Moon 100% human grade treats. They're not bad tasting, a little dry, but odd. I guess I shouldn't eat his treats anyway. He got a small bath to get rid of the smell & I haven't noticed it again, yet.

Boy time... depends a bit on the boy. Some rub themselves on objects (fleece, your hand, their own bellies/chests, etc...) until orgasm. Others curl into a loose ball and fellate themselves. Others do both.

Aside from hang-ups about animals doing what they do, the problems is can pose is that the mess it leaves behind is very sticky. Once dried, it's pretty much a permanent feature. My little fella had a few of those problems stemming from falling asleep and having it dry when he was curled up - he couldn't fully unball because he was stuck to himself. He'd also completely coated his foot that was already encased in poop.

Omg. Lol I just assumed and googled it and I have never heard such a thing with animals. I know monkeys do it to themselves or others. I've seen that at the zoo. Crazy I'll have to ask my mom about her male to see if In fact she has any idea he does this or noticed

If I ever happen to have the problem of my little boy getting stuck from his mess, how should I fix that?

If he manages to stick himself to himself, you lovingly scoop him up and comment, "oh little man... what are we going to do with you," as you cradle him in your arms. Then you start hoping that it's not completely dried.

Get a warm wet washcloth and try and soften the glue. Really, it's like wood glue... hard, yellowish... (I'm not trying to make a pun here... it looks a lot like http://www.elmers.com/products/glues-and-adhesives/wood). Mostly, though, you'll be picking it out of his fur with your fingernails. It'll likely take several sessions to get it all out. If it's an absolute disaster, you'll need to get safety scissors and cut it out of his fur.

If he does this consistently, you'll need to have a parent to child discussion about wiping himself up after he does his thing. Then leave small fleece strips in his home. It probably won't change his behavior, but you'll feel better by amusing yourself in the process ;)

Back