my christmas present and some hedgehog pics

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

My early christmas present, well half of it, there's another one still down in the crv. My husband got too frustrated putting the first one together to do both today. :lol:

2b270413-1a17-43a4-9f3e-c8bddb1aa172_zps27a0b173.jpg

I separated out 3 males that needed weaning. They look so tiny in there that I might put 2 to a cage. We do need to get wheels for all of them and more hedgie bags.
DSCN1737_zpsb84d4968.jpg

DSCN1739_zpsf8fb7fa4.jpg

DSCN1738_zpsc63aa133.jpg

The 3 stack is a little tall for me. The top tray is about at my head so 5' up. I'm going to have to buy another stool so I don't have to drag out the ladder all the time. I was thinking I might be able to split each cage or at least the bottom 2 cages since hedgehogs don't use the vertical space. If I put trays halfway up I would have 5 or 6 cages in one stack. The trays are only about $15. I found some 9" bucket wheels that would still fit half the height of each section which seems fine for weanlings.

Can you keep multiple hedgies together, or only if they are from the same litter? And is that cage for long term living or just for holding young hedgehogs for a hopefully short period of time?

Usually, hedgehogs don't get along with others. Some do, with one sibling, other don't. As everyone probably said before, it all matters on the type of hedgie. Most will NOT get along with a nonrelative hedgie. But that is only what I have heard.

From what I see, that cage could (One stack) easily be used permanently. From the picture, it looks like it will fit everything for their cage; but I am not positive since I don't have the exact measurements. And that cage does look baby proof to me except you would have to make the walls higher, with coroplast, just in case you have an escaper.

Adult males usually won't get along and adult females occasionally get along. My attempts to find 2 adult females that get along to put in the bigger cage failed. The sealed brown wood cages are 30x30 and 30x36" and that's what holds our females and litters or a male and female for breeding. I think the male cages my husband made which are not pictured are 24x36" and that just fits a carolina bucket wheel, hedgie bag, and a crock for food and a crock for water. The ferret nation stacking cages are 36x25" with 1" bar spacing. We mostly just use them for temporarily holding weanlings until sold but we have an escape artist adult male in one right now until we can build a cage with higher sides for him. I gave him a 48x30" cage in a different style from the ones we build because he's rather active but the sides were a couple inches lower with a small gap going down the middle. He must have climbed it. We're tearing that cage down to replace with a 36" in the spring. The litter I have now is only 2 salt and peppers. The next litter is planned for 2 months from now and then they have to stay with their mother until 6-8weeks so we won't have to fill the cages for awhile.

Back