Looking for a new cage set-up! Help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. How hard is the cage to set up straight from the box? Tools needed?

It is easy to set up, but I would give you some advice:

1. It is suppose to be “no Tools” but you do need a screwdriver (included). A hammer would be useful because sometimes you would need it to make the pieces fit (if you use a hammer put something between the hammer and the cage; so you don’t damage the paint)
2. The manual said there are 4 panels “C” (the laterals of the cage) and treat them like they are all equal. They are not; the two top panels have a small drill in the upper bar (you would need it to fix the ceiling). It is hard to remove the panels so I suggested you to be careful about which is top a which is bottom panel (These is for the newer FN 182)
3. Is easier with help

Thank you! :D

I did buy both replacement pans from Bass... but is it absolutely necessary to use the middle pan with the hole? Or can I just put a bunch of shelves and ledges in and have only the bottom pan full of shavings? I just don't know if my chins would use the hole or if they'd like it... I guess we'll see. lol

I took out the middle shelf. I like the open format but you do need to make sure that there are enough shelves, hammocks etc that they couldn't fall too far if they missed.

I just setup my FN today! Took my bf & I 40 mins, was really easy though they old have labeled the pieces to make things straight forward

Hey, well I don't really a room to let them play around in, but I built a whole cage for them, here is a picture:

Hope it helps.

Attachments

• 20130331_182812.jpg
    20130331_182812.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 61
Here is my setup:

IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0159-1.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0166.jpg

Designed it where poopies rarely fall out of cage. Hay has become an issue since my chins decided to "redesign" their food bowl.

This is an absolutely AMAZING set up :youman: Did you make all of the wooden cage accessories yourself? And if so, what would you estimate was the cost on this makeover? Can you replicate these items? I love this!!!

Yes I agree Ziether's setup is amazing. Would love to know where you got all that stuff.

I love this. Really ingenious and skilled use of wood here. Looks like all the compartments are accessible for easier cleaning too.

Litter training - how did you do it?

How did you litter train your Chin. I've had my boy for 8 months and I tried - every day - put some of the wet litter in a small glass pan I used and every day he would pee in that pan, but also in ohter spots. I've since switched to Fleece on the bottom, and while he always pees in the pan - he also pees in other places - I could never get him to go in just one place. Any recommends?

And where did you get custom wood shelves from?

Hi Jen,

The Quality Cages are really good cages and the litter issue is across the boards on most cages. They love to make messes don't they.

I have the Critter Nation (same mfg as Ferret Nation) and there is a good deal of revamping you will need to do for a chin set up. They have plastic trays that need to be replaced with wood and there are no scatter guards available. I had to make some myself. It cost about $200 to have custom made wooden shelves that my little one who is part termite had chewed up pretty well.

I have seen wooden scatter guards that you attach to the outside of the cage that are custom made but I don't remember the vendor that was offering them.

Scatter gurard do help with the mess but there is another thing that really helped me with the litter mess. I litter box trained my little one, Lola.

It not only saves on mess but saves on litter cost. I got a corner metal litter box from Chinchilla Things and love it. It only took 1 day to train her to use the potty. The litter is now only in the potty and whatever kicks out usually stays in the cage.

Granted the poop is still all over but I just sweep it out each day with a dustpan and brush. The cage stays cleaner.

As far as the saucer goes, Lola won't use one either. She has the Chinspin and runs like a bandit on it. It takes up less space too.

In the housing section of this forum there was a previous post that has quite a few pictures of Ferret and Critter Nations. I think it's labeled "Show Off Your Critter Nation"

Check it out.

We handmade the entire cage and I really liked to have a middle devider since my chins like their ledges but one of then is a little clumsy, and the middle devider keeps the cage a bit more quiet and the devider keeps him from falling but when they get crazy energetic they can easily jump from the bottom to upper part. I also made it so I can open the houses and tunnels in case of emergency.
https://imgur.com/a/Tz3cJP7

we just bought this setup

We just bought this setup for our chinchillas and we absolutely love it , I don't have pictures from my room but this is the set that we bought from www.ChinchillaLedges.com
The poop guards are so nice , the ledges we had before didn't have them and they made such a mess its cut down the mess a lot lol but who are we kidding they still make it look like a bomb went off in their room lol

I don't know how to upload pictures it doesn't like the one I have so here is a link if you want to see what it looks like

https://chinchillaledges.com/collec...-ledge-set-with-poop-guards-mounting-hardware

Back