Chin kit weaning/separating questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baorau

After being told my boyfriend's chinchillas (male and female) were both neutered, we came home to 2 chinchilla kits about 6 months after we had adopted them. Surprise!
They were born either late January 19th or early January 20th, so they are just about 6 weeks now. We have one female kit and one male kit housed with mom while dad is on his own for the time being.
They are both eating well, drinking water, and growing well. As long as they are 200g am I supposed to separate them immediately at 8 weeks? They are eating pellets and hay on their own and I sometimes see them drinking from mom but most often I see them eating normal food.
I just really don't want them to breed with each other! If they are a healthy weight should I separate them before 8 weeks? I've been trying to read as much as I can about the weaning process but I want to be 100% clear as the 8 week mark is coming closer and closer. I will be sure to measure them soon to see how everything is going there as well.
Thanks for the help!

If a kit isn't as large as I think it should be, I've left them with mom longer. If they are at 200 gm they should be okay. Put the boy with dad, leave the girl with mom and monitor their weight to make sure they are doing okay. Also, be sure to monitor the boy closely. You don't want the dad turning on him and hurting him. I've never had this happen, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Back