Introducing very frightened female chin w/ female

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SagLdy80

Please help I'm so stressed. So my girl ChiChi is just over 1yr old, we've bonded and she was used to people handling her. It didn't take very long for us to become comfortable with each other. My husband comes home with a chinchilla that some one just didn't want. The person had no cage so the poor thing is in like a dog crate type thing and looks completely terrified! I put my girls dust bath in with her (w/some fresh dust, her coat isn't bad but you can tell she hasn't bathed in a bit, it has an oily look) she's gone in it and won't come out. I put some food and water in there she still won't come out. Going to get her a cage and some supplies tomorrow. I know it's a process introducing two chins to each other, but how should I go about it with this girl being so frightened? Should I just try to get her comfortable with me first then start the process of getting them together? I don't know what to do. It's like you can see it in her eyes she's sooo afraid it's breaking my heart 😢😓😥.

I wouldn't even begin to try to introduce them until she's feeling a little more comfortable in her new home. If your girl becomes aggressive with her being overly nervous, you may never be able to get them together. She should also be quarantined from your home chin for 30 days before they are even in the same room together to be sure there is no illness that can be passed between the chins.

Give your new girl time to settle in. Just let her hang in her new cage, don't mess with her a lot, especially with her being so scared. You can read out loud by her cage - a book you're reading, the news, whatever - so she becomes accustomed to your voice and smell. After that you can move onto handling regularly and possibly introducing the two chins.

Back