Fur Chewer

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me start with, it has been a few years since I had chinnies. I have never has an issue with fur chewing in any of my past chins. So recently I acquired a pair and the female who is so sweet and beautiful is a chewer. Is there anything I can do to help distract her? I assume I should take her to the vet and have her checked to make sure she has no underlying issues. Maybe I can get some more info from the girl she came from. I was not the first stop in her rehoming. :sad:

Fur chewing is one of those things that has not been firmly diagnosed as far as I know, there have been studies that point towards a organic reason, but a "cure" has never been found, others show its psychological. Not much helps, they chew for whatever reason, they stop for whatever reason, chin can be "old" and start chewing, chin can chew as a "child" and never chew again. Just make sure the diet is good so the fiber can move the fur along.

Back