First Rodent?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What was your first pet rodent?

• Mouse

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Rat

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Gerbil

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Hamster

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Guinea Pig

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Degu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chinchilla

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

Minccino

Chin-sational
I know many people, including myself, have started with a different rodent before obtaining a chinchilla. My first rodent was a teddy bear hamster. What about you, did you start out with a chinchilla, or other rodent? :))

Rodents are cute!

My first rodents were a pair of mice, when I was around 2 years old. Over the years I've had (in no particular order and sometimes all of them at one time) guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, and rats. Chinchillas were the last type of rodent I got, most likely because they didn't hit the pet market where I grew up until the late 90s. Degus came to the pet stores about the same time and we had to choose, degus or chinchillas, so chinchillas it was, and I still have yet to have a degu.

I have always loved rodents. My first rodent was a hamster when I was five, and since then I have had 55 hamsters of all kinds, 5 gerbils, 6 fancy mice, 2 zebra mice, 3 harvest mice, 4 rats and 3 chinchillas. I loved them all , but the chins and hamsters are my favourite rodent pet and rats my least favourite, they were not good pets on the whole. The zebra mice weren't great either, they would leap out as soon the cage opened and take an hour or more to locate and catch again.

My first rodent was a Guinea pig when I was 5. I have also owned hamsters and mice. Out of all of the rodents chinchillas are by far my favorite.

My first was a hamster, then a guinea pig, then a hamster again, and then chinchillas(we also recently adopted a guinea pig and I forgot how loud they can be haha.). I have to agree with Cass- chinchillas are by far my favorite rodent.

As a child I had a string of hamsters, then I had a pair of demon possessed gerbils, then more hamsters, then a pair of mice I got forced to keep when my Python refused them so they got named and lived a long and spoiled life. Now I have a dwarf hamster a pair of ferrets and four chins.

It looks like hamsters are the most common rodent pet!!
I have to agree, chins are by far my favorite! They are so much fun :))

Mine were 3 gerbils for my 9th birthday called Rio, Theo and Leo. Best birthday present ever :D One even lived to the grand old age of 4.

Chinchilla was actually my first rodent. I've never been allowed to have rodents because they all look too much like rats as far as my mom is concerned, although she managed to convince herself that chinchillas are just bunnies with long tails lol

Chinchilla was actually my first rodent. I've never been allowed to have rodents because they all look too much like rats as far as my mom is concerned, although she managed to convince herself that chinchillas are just bunnies with long tails lol

Haha! Yeah I know several people who are afraid of mice/rats, but are ok with chins. They do kinda look like a cross between a mouse and a bunny. xD

Wow chins are tied up with hamsters for #1! I am surprised!

It all started with a hamster, but soon I had a rat, then a chinchilla, then three! I guess you could say my skills have grown a bit :thumbsup:

My first rodents were guinea pigs. I got the two of them from the same litter! One was a smooth brown and black one called Chocolate Chip (chip) and the other was a agouti brown and white called Cookies! ;) Please don't judge the naming :hilarious: myself and my sister were young...(well...12 or so) :hilarious:

My first one is mouse then guinea pig. Right now just my chin Candy! Chinchilla is definitely my favorite, though she's much more demanding than the other two. But I know she will stay with me for years to come.

My first rodent was a teddy bear hamster named Zach. I was in 6th grade when I got him. After that I adopted a gerbil from a friend who couldn't take care of him anymore, his name was Biscuit. A few year after Biscuit died I adopted two more gerbils named Bear and Skeltyr. Now I'm 24 and am a proud parent of a chinchilla!

Back