How can I bond with my chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily95

Hi all :)
A few months ago, I bought a second chinchilla (Jazz) from an 'experienced' breeder to introduce to my other female, Remy, who has since suddenly passed away.
Unbeknownst to me, Jazz was pregnant when I got her- two cages being too close together was apparently the culprit. In the two weeks before she gave birth, she wasn't exactly eager to have cuddles, but she was docile and seemed content to be held. I still feel awful that I handled her as I did with Remy, not knowing I could have been causing Jazz and her kits serious damage, and put her in a cage that was not suitable for a pregnant chin. She was only about a year old when she gave birth. She had one live birth, and a stillborn that came out in pieces. It was awful. A day later, she delivered another stillborn- a tiny, pure white baby. Her only surviving kit was small too, just 28 grams, but Jazz's maternal instincts thankfully kicked in straight away and she was a wonderful mother to Theo, who is now my chunky monkey!

Since then, Jazz wants absolutely nothing to do with me. I can feel her glaring at me from across the room, she barks a lot, and makes that angry spitting sort of noise when I come near, even just to change the feed or water.
I've tried sitting near the cage for hours at a time, slowly getting closer so that she can get used to me. Then I started putting my arm in the cage for a little while, but she stays as far away as she possibly can, and will slip her fur even if I'm not touching her. Sometimes she seems to be improving, but the next day she'll be back at square one.
This had made looking after her properly very difficult. She won't come out for playtime as Theo will, and when I clean the cage out I have to urge her to the other half of the cage and block off the entrance to keep her out of harms way. She has the correct size cage with plenty of toys for stimulation, a solid metal wheel, food, hay, clean water, but no playtime, which I feel so guilty about. I have taken her to the vets, and healthwise she's absolutely fine, but she doesn't play with toys as much as Theo does. She also always seems to be malting fur, and it gets everywhere!

I'm at a complete loss for what to do. The room they live in is quiet, with minimal disturbance, and I can't think of what else (other than me) might be stressful for her.
Is it possible that her traumatic start to living with me has triggered her dislike of people? I tried to do everything I could, but being a first time chin owner, I'm bound to have gotten some things wrong. I don't want to rehome them as I love them both dearly, but I'm starting to think a fresh start might be Jazz's only chance to bond properly with someone, and I can't stand the thought of her spending her whole life trapped in her cage.

I'd be grateful for any and all help. I really want to do better for her, and most of all I just want to be friends with her.

Back