Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Health & Hygiene
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Health & Hygiene Anything to do with the health or hygiene of a chinchilla - post it here!

Old 06-02-2018, 04:18 PM United Kingdom

Chinchillas: 2
Hedgehogs: 1
Default Red feet/ bumblefoot?

Hi

I noticed one of my chinchillas back feet are quite red and i'm worried this may be the start of bumblefoot?

https://ibb.co/jWv1Cd
https://ibb.co/h19uXd

He's not in any pain and is hoping around and using his feet fine and theres no blood i'm just a bit worried.

The purple/darker areas are just blu-kote as i cleaned his feet then put on some bu-kote and bag balm yesterday

do you think his needs a vet visit or should i just keep cleaning/blu-kote/bag balm or am i worrying too much?

Thanks Guys
Old 06-07-2018, 05:58 PM Canada

Bumble foot is an actual infection of the feet, it's caused when the chin gets a wound of their foot or feet. You generally see the blood and puss coming out of the feet with bumble foot. This just looks like may he sits on flat surfaces all the time, not because of the red but because his heels look a little wide, but that could just be his natural foot shape. It could be just color/tone on my screen but the first pic just looks like you just picked him of from standing on his feet, and the second looks normal color (both not counting the purplish which you said is blu-kote). Chinchillas don't naturally live on flat surfaces all the time, so if you don't already you should put some other types of perches in the cage, maybe even add some good sized round rocks for him to hop on.

Another thing, unless his feet are cracking and/or flaky you don't need to apply bag balm. You don't want his feet to be soft, they should be allowed to form hard calculus, and feel like a leather shoe sole. If you soften the feet too much they are more prone to cuts and similar injury.
3 Dogs: Bear, Loki, and Blaze
Old 06-08-2018, 03:26 PM United Kingdom

Hedgehogs: 1
Thumbs up

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

His cage/room does have alot of flat shelving
There is a few perches/lava ledges but perhaps more of this and maybe more twisty branching and rocks could help

Looks like I have a weekend project this weekend😁

Thanks for the help