Chinchilla nibbles

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktschopp

So I adopted my chinchilla a few weeks ago and so far she’s been great. As I let her get acclimated to her new home I noticed that she’s pretty social. When I would go to feed her/clean her cage she’d always come to me and wasn’t afraid. I’ve recently started petting her a little bit in the evening before I go to sleep. If she’s sleepy she’ll usually turn away from me and I leave her alone. Usually though she seems like getting scratched by her ears. The past few days that I’ve given her some scratches, she will nibble a little bit around my hand. It doesn’t hurt or anything but I was just wondering why she does this. Is it a way for them to show affection?

If it's just light nibbles, then it sounds like she is grooming you, it's a sign of affection and acceptance. Basically you are giving me good scratches I'll say thank you with grooming you too.:thumbsup: They do it to each other too if you have more then one as a form of bonding with each other.

Ah that makes me happy then that my chin is reciprocating affection! She's very friendly, but also very curious and I have to watch her like a hawk during playtime lol

Back