Hello, My chinchilla is having nutrition isses after dental work

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivergirl

Hi all,

I just joined because there seems to be a lot of helpful information here. I owned a degu for nearly 10 years. After my degu passed I adopted a rescue chinchilla I named Otto. He was almost 3 years old when I adopted him and have had him a year and a half.

My poor Otto had to have an abscessed molar removed and has since struggled with nutrition. The antibiotic caused him to lose his appetite and he refuses to eat much of his critical care. I've been working with my vet on this.

I had been getting Otto to eat critical care using a piece of dried papaya to entice him, but this trick only lasted a couple days. From what I've read, fruit isn't good for him anyway, but it was the only way to get him to swallow the critical care from the syringe. I hope the other flavor of cc I ordered is something he'll like. He's not quite up to healthy poos...is constipated and dehydrated. Although he grazes on timothy hay constantly and drinks water whenever I give it to him. He doesn't eat much pellets (Mazouri/kaytee) I have him on the Kaytee food because it's the only brand I can get locally when I forget to order.

Since I'm syringe feeding him, I have gas drops, but don't want to give him too much. At most I've given him 0.3ml in the evening before playtime. He's not very active anymore so I thought it may have been gas.

Since the dental work, he doesn't jump and is very uncoordinated. My vet said that is a side-effect from not getting enough food after surgery. It's been 3 weeks and slow progress.

Back