Please help! Urgent! Chinchilla won't go back in cage!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bun Bun

someone please help me my 2 year old chinchilla decided that she didn't want to go back in het cage. it's been 5 hours now and i've tried treats and dustbaths. i even tried to block off the hiding places. i have school tomorrow and i can't leave her roaming. someone help please:cry3:

First, make sure she can't hide anywhere, block off all areas. What kind of space are we talking about here, a bathroom? bedroom? spare room? If possible try to crate a corral, with cardboard boxes if you have them. Once she is in a small enough area then you can try throwing a blanket over her to stop her, then quickly scoop her up. If you are able to corner her try using a box to scoop her up in. Can she get back in her cage on her own? If she can you could also try just corralling her to an area around her cage, making is smaller and smaller so she has to go back in.

In the future it's best to make sure the play area is chin proofed and you are able to catch her before allowing the chin out to play. If you don't have a chin safe place for her to play it's best not to do playtime at all. If you chase her around it's only hurting your bond, you will need to earn her trust back once you get her. Also keep in mind that chins are smart and generally don't fall for the same tricks very many times.

a bedroom. I just got a playpen for her. the ones with the roof type thing. (one of the dog ones) ill try the blanket method. thank you for all the help

Most dog crates/pens are not suitable for Chinchillas... bar spacing needs to be at LEAST 1", preferably 1/2", or they will squeeze through and can hurt themselves doing so.

Back