Ferret or Critter Nation? Find used? And help outfitting new cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atravellersp

Hi all - I'm getting ready to move my little guy out of the original starter cage into a nice roomy ferret or critter nation and trying to get ideas on which is better - I see some who swear by the ferret nation and others who say critter nation all the way. Are horizontal or vertical bars better. I have a bunch of custom shelving I'll be moving in and looking to outfit it with more once I start setting it up. Would love folks thoughts. I'm also looking to see if I can find one used, so I can save a little bit of money. Anyone know where I can look? eBay wasn't much help.

Also - any ideas on where I can go to get custom made shelving and other stuff to outfit the cage would be appreciated. I have no DIY skills unfortunately so need to pay others to help me make it a perfect cage. Big thing I need are small boxes for hay as he hates all the hay racks and a better idea for food bowl as he dumps his off the shelf every night. :( - It's heavy ceramic too. Thanks in advance for the advice.

The FN bars seem stronger, I think it has to do with the horizontal welds being closer together. I only have a FN so I am just going by what I've read about the CN. Also the FN has 1" bar spacing where as the CN has 1/2", the half inch is better for kits or chins under 6 months who can squeeze though the 1" spacing. Both cages are the same size though. Both you will need to either cover the plastic pans or replace them.

I would try classifieds (craigslist, kijiji, etc) for used ones, or even watch for sales on sites like Ferret.com for new ones.

For shelving I would check out the classifieds and banner posters on the top of the forum here. There are several vendors that do shelves, hay holders, food bowls, as well as chin safe toys, food, and treats. For a food bowl I suggest coop cups, chins can still pull them out if they really work at it but it's harder then just pushing over a bowl.

Definitely Critter Nation. It was designed by Midwest to be for smaller critters; the wide bar spacing in the Ferret Nation can cause Chins to get their legs caught when they wall surf within the cage. Between their love of climbing and wallsurfing, chinchillas will be much happier in a CN than an FN.

I've had both and completely go by FN. I used CN as my quarantine cage, but gave it away once I decided on no more chinchillas (for now). The FN does have sturdier bars and I found some ledge hardware and water bottles hard to fit through the smaller opening(I have lixit bottles and like to keep them on the outside).

Back