Convincing parents about chinchillas......

• Thread starter 1_animal_@_a_time
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1_animal_@_a_time

I am really really sorry this is super super long......but please bare with me.

Yes, if you are wondering this is one of those questions where a kid wants a pet and needs help convincing parents that they are responsible enough to own one.
Now i am not sure what your response is right now. You are either thinking this kid has no responsiblity and will not be able to handle a chinchilla as a pet. Or you have a little hope that i could. Or you think i would be great. Or your answer is somewhere imbetween. I will start out by telling you I am 15 years old. And of course a huge animal lover. I have a dog and a beta fish. Now i do understand that dogs and chinchillas do not get along. If the chinchilla is out in a safe inclosed room that is chinchilla safe, my dog will be no where in sight. I have had saved four cats. They were all strays that i convinced my parents to let me keep until i found a home for them which i did. Now they stayed in my basement because my mom is allergic to cats, and they were never let upstairs. I dont currently have any strays. But they tend to show up during the fall (due to falling temperatures) But they stay in the basement, never upstairs which is where the chin would stay.

I am really responsible. I would be the one caring for the cats when they came. And i am responsible for my dog (toy poodle) and my fishy (but that isnt too hard). I have watched my friends rats for 2weeks. I know they arent the same as chinchillas but they are quite similiar.

So the two things that are holding me back from getting a chin is one $$$ and two parents letting me get one. I will have enough money in about 9months i only make 120 a month. And dont worry i am saving money for emergencies too.

So do you have any suggestions to letting me have a chin.

Ps. It is my dad i have to convince. I am going to get a chin from a breeder but i am going to try to take my dad to a pet store to show him a chin. He is the type of person that has to see the animal in person then he will fall in love with it.

Ok well i had the same problem, i got my chin a few weeks before my fourteenth birthday, and my parents though it would smell terrible and i would give her a terrible life, but its been over a month and she is completely spoiled! But, the way i did it is give them tons of facts, what they like and don't like, and showed them that i had researched this, and that helped alot, but about the money, after a few months the monthly cost will be around $20 to $40+ depending on how much you spol her and if you use fleece or bedding, but the intial cost is alot. But i wish you luck and chinchillas are amazing pets and you will become addicted!

I know here, I could not afford a chinchilla with just 120 a month. We have spent over 600 bucks alone on Gabby with her teeth issues. Unless your parents can help with emergencies (God forbit you ever need to take the chin to a vet) it would be sad for the chin to be put down because you can not afford it, or no one wants to take the time to take it to a vet.

I am not a strong advocate of kids getting pets, especially ones like a chinchilla. Between toys, food, and care I spend a lot each month on my chins. It was less when i only had one but my suggestion would be not to get one, and to wait. But that is just my 2 cents.

I think that Tara is right in that you need to be sure that your parents will be there to financially support you if you need to take the chin to the vet. Vet visits can easily get expensive very quickly.
Not only that, but the upfront cost can be quite a bit. The good cages (I'm talking ones with no plastic bottoms like Ferret Nations or Quality Cages) are expensive, and then you need to buy ledges, toys, feed, hay, dust right up front. Not to mention the cost of the chin itself.
Each month to month cost isn't too bad depending on how much you want to spoil the chin. But if you need to take the chin to the vet, it can get expensive.
So, are your parents going to stall taking the chin to the vet? Are they going to think like many people that a chin is like a hamster and doesn't need to go to the vet?
Also, what is going to happen to the chin when you go away to college? Assuming you will. Chins can live up to 20 years, are you prepared for the commitment?

These are just all things to think about. I think that a teenager can care for a chin if they have the parent's backing. Because at this point in time, I don't think that you could financially solely support a chin.

I know here, I could not afford a chinchilla with just 120 a month. We have spent over 600 bucks alone on Gabby with her teeth issues. Unless your parents can help with emergencies (God forbit you ever need to take the chin to a vet) it would be sad for the chin to be put down because you can not afford it, or no one wants to take the time to take it to a vet.

I am not a strong advocate of kids getting pets, especially ones like a chinchilla. Between toys, food, and care I spend a lot each month on my chins. It was less when i only had one but my suggestion would be not to get one, and to wait. But that is just my 2 cents.

I will be saving up for 9months making 120 a month. So the total is 1080 which will be spended on cage, chin, supplies. And if i only get one chinchilla i will have 525 for emergencies, and i will keep making 120 a month and putting off 50% of that for my chins. But if i get two i will have 300 for emergencies. And for the 120 i make a month 75 of that will go to my chins.

So does that sound good to you. Or is that too little?

I think, I know you will need your parents backing 120 a month isn't very much. All you can do is present your parents with information. It is hard to bring an animal int a house where it isn't wanted. It took years for my dad to except my chinchillas eventually he liked them but the first few years were rough. And now I have a husband who likes them but I still ask him before I bring any new ones in.

the people you live with need to be on board. And you will need a lot saved up for vets. My last vet visit with just a chin with a sinus ifection was 120.00 and that was a very minor issue.

I hate to break it to you, but the girls are right.
I don't question the fact that you are responsible, or an animal lover, and everyone appreciates what you do for the stray cats and your own animals. It hasn't been THAT long ago that I was 14 myself (stop laughing everyone) and I'd just like to share some of my own thoughts.
Some things to ask yourself:
1) What's my financial situation?
- While it's good that you are researching and saving $, I don't see $120/mo. as feasible income to support your fur-baby. Here are my reasons: Your upfront cost is probably going to be a minimum of about $500 for one chin (including cage, chin, food, acces., etc.) After that, probably $20-$40/mo depending on what you buy it for food & fun. Let's say on $120/mo. budget you spend $30 on supplies every month. That leaves you $90. If you put $40 of that into savings each month, that's $480/yr which is not "typically" enough to pay for ONE emergency vet visit. That leaves you $50/mo. I assume you'll be driving soon and unless your parents are going to pay for your car & gas - you're going to have NO $ left...not to mention the $ you spend taking care of the strays.
2) Where do I see myself in 2 years?
- At that time, you'll be 16. Probably wanting to work more to earn some more money. Not only that - but it's perfectly normal to want to be spending time with your friends and doing other activities as well. All of that is going to cut down on the time you get to spend with your fur-baby.
3) Your age now brings another question... Do I have time?
- I assume you're at school all day (w/ the exception of summer break) and perhaps both of your parents work as well. Yes, chins are nocturnal and sleep during the day, but what about homework, etc. that will be taking up your time soon? If you're not going to have the daily time to spend w/ your fur-baby, the minimum you can do is have a pair - which is going to be more $ up front, and slight more $ each month for supplies.
3) Where do you see yourself in 5-7 years (and beyond)?
- If you plan on going to college, there are very few that are going to let you bring a pet with you to the dorms. Even if you plan on living at home during that time - you're free time will be severly compromised.

I think that Tara is right in that you need to be sure that your parents will be there to financially support you if you need to take the chin to the vet. Vet visits can easily get expensive very quickly.
Not only that, but the upfront cost can be quite a bit. The good cages (I'm talking ones with no plastic bottoms like Ferret Nations or Quality Cages) are expensive, and then you need to buy ledges, toys, feed, hay, dust right up front. Not to mention the cost of the chin itself.
Each month to month cost isn't too bad depending on how much you want to spoil the chin. But if you need to take the chin to the vet, it can get expensive.
So, are your parents going to stall taking the chin to the vet? Are they going to think like many people that a chin is like a hamster and doesn't need to go to the vet?
Also, what is going to happen to the chin when you go away to college? Assuming you will. Chins can live up to 20 years, are you prepared for the commitment?

These are just all things to think about. I think that a teenager can care for a chin if they have the parent's backing. Because at this point in time, I don't think that you could financially solely support a chin.

With the college situtation. I already stated that i have a dog. And when i mean i have a dog i mean it is literally my dog. I am not paying for the dog though. But when college comes for me. My parents are going to take care of my pets for freshman year. My dad wont let me have my dog freshman year of college because of the dorms you have to stay in. So for freshman year he will take care of my dog and any other animals i have. And then when i get a place to stay that will allow animals they will move in with me.

And with my parents helping me out with vet bills. I havent asked yet. I want to get them more convinced before i tell them about how they might have to help me with vet bills. And dont worry i know they have to be taken to the vet. And they can have health problems. I am pretty confident that my parents will help me out with the vet bills. My dad would fall in love with the chin, he would most likely help me out. Plus i am daddy's little girl =]. Which has its addvanges. But i am not spoiled. Just to let you know.

I think the longer you save up money and have a cash holding for daily/monthly supplies and for emergencies, then you are showing responsibility. Obviously, up front, you need money for the chin, cage, food, hay, apple sticks, dust baths, and any toys. Then you need to religously keep money saved for unforseen emergencies. I have been lucky for the year that I have had my chin. No emergencies. But I know that if something comes up I will have to get her to the vet without hesitation and it could cost me hundreds of dollars.

I am also a huge animal lover...I have a zoo of animals and that's what makes me happy. I also care for around 20 stray cats year round. Chins are great pets, and mine makes me incredibly happy. But she also is the pet that I have to worry about most when the temperature rises, or if I want to go on vacation. She isn't like my fish, or dog, or birds, or hammy, or cats who can look after themselves for a couple of days at a time. She is a full time commitment and can really complicate what I can do with my day.

Keep doing research on chins, know their positive attributes and their negative ones as well. Is this animal really right for you at this time? If so, have info to back you up when you make a case to your dad about being able to care for a chin. I think teenagers can be very responsible with animal care, but it also comes down to what is the right animal for you. Good luck.

My oldest son is allergic to cats, also, and can't come anywhere near the chins - it's actually worse for him!!
I'd check out reactions yeur parents may have before starting your quest!

Keep researching & keep saving. you sound very responsible & clearly are an animal lover.
but in the last month alone i have spent close to $1000 on my 3 year old standard boy and because of his teeth issues I spend close to 2 hours every day hand feeding him and cleaning his & my other chins cage & feeding them.
I never thought I would have to do this and it is very hard on me because I work full time and have an active 8 year old son and a 10 year old dog that I worship! but i do it because chins are lovable little pets. so keep saving and keep doing your research. that way you wont make a lot of costly mistakes that many of us made. If I did more research maybe my richie would have such bad teeth (or could be totally genetic) I will never know but i sure wish I knew what I know now!

My oldest son is allergic to cats, also, and can't come anywhere near the chins - it's actually worse for him!!
I'd check out reactions yeur parents may have before starting your quest!

That's been my experience as well. My dad is allergic to cats but can tolerate being in the same room with him. He can't go in the chin room without having a reaction (usually a bad asthma attack). May not be the chins, but certainly the dust and hay associated with the chins.

When I want an animal, I write out a letter to my dad addressing all aspects of care. This includes:
Why I want the animal
How much the animal costs initially
Monthly upkeep
How much a vet visit typically costs
How much I will contribute each month towards care

So, 4 years ago (when I was 14) I wanted a horse. I had been working at a barn for about 6 months (but rode for years before hand) and I wrote out a letter to my dad that included why I wanted the horse, how much the horse would cost, what the horse would need every month and how much that costs, how much routine medial bills cost (having their teeth done, vaccines etc...), and I stated how much I would be able to pay and what I would do at home to help.

My dad actually thought it over and told me I could get a horse on a couple conditions. 1) I had to buy the horse myself, 2) I had to pay for it's board... the month I ask him for money, the horse goes. 3) I had to keep grades up above a B. He would pay vet and farrier costs.
So at 14, I worked 5 days a week for his board... at 15 I got a job at a big boarding/breeding farm to pay for his board, and at 17 I got a job at kids party place. I do projects around the house (digging trenches, stainng decks, etc), and when I was unable to work at various points over the past year for surgeries, I still found ways to pay his board because I had no other option.

So my advice is to outline a letter explaining how much you could put towards the animal and how much your parents would need to contribute.

Last edited:
Just giving you more info...the temperature in your house or wherever you keep your chin must be under 70 degrees! Electric bills in the summer can be costly, are your parents going to be ok with that? My husband is getting used to it being 67 degrees in the winter and 68-69 degrees now but every now and then he jokes about putting on a fleece sweater when its 75 degrees outside. Are your parents going to be ok with that temperature?

I'm turning 19 in a week. I got my chins at 17. I too had to convince my parents. I laid out all the facts, all the research that I did...the cost, the vet, the food, the cage, the electricity...everything. My parents help me cover the vet and the electricity for them while I covered the rest. Then college came.

I'm in college right now and dorms don't allow pets. Will your parents be willing to take care of your fuzz butt? Will they be able to know if the fuzz butt is not acting normally? Will they know what to do if they're sick or injured? Will they remember to give it food and water? Playtime? What if your parents had to go an a business trip, who would take care of them then? Luckily, my mom and my sister love my chins, so they gladly took care of them while I went to college....I'm moving out of the dorms next week and renting an apartment for summer school and next year. Moving the cage and all of their belongings were extremely inconvenient. My mom did not know how to take the cage apart; my dad had to wake up early before work to do it. We had to borrow a friend's van to fit the cage into it. My parents had to take time off of work and drive 6 hours to bring me my chins. While unloading the cage, my dad sprained his index finger. You will have to understand that you will be putting your parents at an inconvenience for your own pleasure.

Also, you when you move out of the dorms, you will have to find a place which allows pets. Most likely you will be sharing a room or an apartment. Your suite/roommates will have to agree with your chinchillas and the temperature of the apartment. Will they be willing to split the bill evenly? They might say no, after all why do they have to pay the bill for a pet that is not their own. How are you going to work out the air condition problem then? Turning on the a/c costs money. Getting a portable a/c also costs money. Eitherway, the electricity bill will be higher than normal. What about winter time? What if your suitemates want to turn the heater on to 80 degrees? What about your chins? These are all problems that I ran through just a couple months ago while looking for an apartment. Of course, the seemingly easiest solution is to get your own place without anyone else splitting the cost. But then rent and the bills can get costly to pay on your own.

Ask yourselves these questions. Look into the future, not just skim them over and put them off until the "time comes"....really think about it. Imagine different scenarios, different answers. And if you can't come up with an answer, you should put off getting a chinchilla until you can support them fully and take complete responsibility.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I really feel there are enough chinchillas put up on craigslist because "they're going to college and can't take care of it anymore" or "they're moving and they can't take them along".

Personally, I think the beginning of high school isn't the best time to get a pet that's going to live almost as long as your college loans will. You just said yourself that your dog can't go with you for at least one year, which would leave your animals with your parents while you're away, and make your dad responsible for a dog and a chinchilla for at least that year. Not fair to the chin to have his/her owner "abandon" it (because chinchillas won't understand a temporary absence, all they know is one day Mommy's there, and the next she's not) when college rolls around.

That $120/mo that you're saving could go toward a lot of things, like a car and insurance (pretty much a necessity once you get to college, if not sooner), dresses for prom/homecoming, clothes and moving stuff for college. It may seem like you're making a lot right now @ $120/mo, but I make just a little over that a week, and lemme tell ya', it goes fast.

Like I said above, I think the point you're at in your life isn't the best opportunity for a chinchilla, a small, delicate, family-oriented animal that likes and depends on routines. *BUT*, I have never seen a problem with adding a Family pet at a time that the whole family thinks is good. Rather than saying "I'll take on all this responsibility myself" to make it happen faster, think about how a chinchilla would benefit or burden your whole family, and whether it's a good fit for your folks too. If you'd be depending on them to pay for emergency vet bills (which, as you've seen, can be incredibly high with chins), or pay for something else when your money goes into vet bills, they should be as eager to let the chins into the family as you are. However good with animals you may be, any pet that requires as much time, attention, and money as a chinchilla needs to be undertaken with the whole family in mind.

So, get your research and resources together. Show your parents a chinchilla and a proper cage. Don't gloss over the negatives (huge mess, big bulky cage, noisy at night, expensive if they get sick/hurt), because those negatives are what land hundreds of chinchillas in rescues every year. Then, with all that in mind, think really hard about the fairness of adding another dependent to your parents' finances and home, because no matter how much you pay for it, that's what a pet is. It's almost as big a responsibility as a child.

I wrote a google docs saying this:
Dear Mom and Dad,

I know that recently I have been thinking about a pet for me and I have finally settled on one that I think you would like. The pet I chose is a Chinchilla. The Chinchilla is a cute little creature that belongs to rodents. There are two species of chinchilla: short-tailed and long-tailed chinchilla. Chinchillas can be found in South America. This animal is adapted to the life in mountains and rocky habitats, at altitudes above 12 000 feet. Chinchillas inhabit Andes. They are named after American Indian tribe called "Chincha" which used chinchilla's fur in the past to produce clothes. Chinchillas were hunted nearly to extinction in the wild over the previous century because of its dense and soft fur. They are still listed as critically endangered species in the wild. First appearing around 41 million years ago, the chinchilla's ancestors were some of the first rodents to infest South America. Chinchilla fur became popular in the 1700s, and the animals were hunted nearly to extinction by 1900. About that time, Argentina, Bolivia, Chile and Peru banned the hunting of wild chinchillas.

Physical characteristics
Chinchillas are related to guinea pigs and porcupines. With short forelimbs and long, muscular hind legs, chinchillas resemble rabbits, but their ears are much shorter and rounder. They have large, black eyes and bushy tails. They have four toes on each foot, and the thin claws on each toe are surrounded by stiff bristles.
Chinchillas are typically 9 to 15 inches (23 to 38 centimeters) long, but the tail can add another 3 to 6 inches (8 to 15 cm) to their length. They generally weigh 1.1 to 1.8 lbs. (0.5 to 0.8 kilograms).
Habitat
Chinchillas are covered in thick fur for a reason. In the Andes, they can live in elevations of about 3,000 to 5,000 meters (9,800 to 16,400 feet). At those heights, it can be very cold — 23 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 5 degrees C) is the average minimum temperature in some places. Chinchillas can tolerate freezing temperatures, but they cannot survive in temperatures higher than 80 F (27 C); high temperatures and humidity can cause these rodents to suffer from heat stroke.
Chinchillas are crepuscular and nocturnal, which means they are very active at dawn or dusk and sleep during the day. They make their homes by burrowing in underground tunnels or nestling in rock crevasses. They are very social and live in colonies that consist of hundreds of chinchillas.

Diet
Chinchillas are omnivores; they eat both plants and meat. Primarily, they eat grass and seeds, but they also eat insects and bird eggs when they get the chance. To eat, they hold their food in their front paws and nibble on it. Chinchillas in captivity mainly eat food consisting of timothy hay and Chinchilla pellets (specially formatted pellets to meet chinchilla’s needs)
Conservation status
Though chinchilla fur is highly valued for use in clothing and coats, the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species has restricted the sale and trade of wild chinchillas since 1975. Many chinchillas are bred commercially for their fur.
Both species of chinchilla are on the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources' endangered-species list. Both the short-tailed chinchilla and the long-tailed chinchilla are listed as critically endangered. Short-tailed chinchillas are thought to be extinct in Bolivia and Peru but are suspected to be recovering in other areas. In 1996, there were only 42 colonies of long-tailed chinchillas, and the population has declined since then and continues to decline.

Pet chinchillas
The Michigan Humane Society recommends keeping domestic chinchillas in a wire mesh cage with a solid floor. The cage should be well ventilated and kept dry and cool in temperatures from 60 to 70 F (16 to 21 C). Chinchillas do not get along well when caged together, and should be kept in individual cages.
Chinchillas can eat food pellets available from pet stores, as well as hay, dried fruits and nuts, and carrots and green vegetables in moderation, or about 10 percent of their daily diet. A bottle equipped with a sipper tube is the best way to provide water.
To stay clean, these rodents give themselves dust baths. It is recommended that domestic chinchillas take dust baths once or twice per week in fine volcanic ash that can be purchased at pet shops.
Overall Pros & COns
Pros:
Chinchillas live a really long time! A lifespan of 15 or more years is common!
Chinchillas are pretty low maintenance. Once you have a cage set up, all they need is refilled water, food, and hay every day, and weekly cage cleanings & new things to chew.
Chinchillas can live in same-sex groups, pairs, or alone. Some chins even prefer being solitary!
Chinchillas are not susceptible to pests such as fleas.
Chinchillas are very clean. They love to bathe and their hair is so dense it doesn’t get very messed up, provided weekly dust baths.
You can give them dust baths as much as you like! It’s adorable and they love it.
Chinchillas smell really good. Unlike most other rodent pets, they and their cages smell fresh and clean. Even their pee is pretty close to odorless.
They are incredibly soft.
They’re the best looking animal on the planet. Blending the awkwardness of a squirrel with the plump sweetness of a bunny, a chinchilla is truly the whole package.
They are pretty affordable to keep, once you’re set up.
While they enjoy playing and can form close bonds with their humans, they also are just fine chilling out in their cages for extended periods and won’t get depressed if left alone a bit.
Cons:
They have very specific dietary needs and delicate GI tracts. Unlike many other pets, you cannot give them bites of human food, even fruits or veggies. Pellets, Hay, and safe treats are it.
Very few treats are safe for them. Most available in pet stores are loaded with sugar and fat, which their bodies can’t digest well. The only safe treats are: oats, plain shredded wheats, dried goji berries, and rosehips.
They must be closely observed during play time to ensure they do not eat anything unsafe, destroy furniture or power cords, or climb into small spaces never to return.
They can squeeze into very small spaces and hide there, despite their chubby appearance. Don’t let their fluffy butts fool you. Their ribs are collapsible so they can wriggle in passages of two inches or less.
They waste a lot of hay. Their instinct to forage makes them very picky eaters in this regard.
They can develop diabetes if you do not feed them well. Again, simple pellets, hay, and safe treats only. No foods filled with added fruits or puffs.
They often fall prey to dental problems. If their teeth grow too long or at an odd angle, this can even be fatal. Tooth spurs are also a problem. We can prevent this by giving them lots of chew toys.
They hide illness very well. Like most prey animals, they have an evolved tendency to obscure any signs of weakness. This means you may not catch illness until it’s too late.
You should be prepared to cage every chinchilla separately at any time. Even if two chins got along as cagemates for 10 years, they may begin to fight seemingly out of nowhere and need to be split up. Their relationships are complex!
Cage set up is expensive! A chinchilla needs a place to sleep/hide, multiple safe ledges, chew toys of wood, pumice, and other safe materials, an exercise wheel or flying saucer, a food bowl, a hay rack, a safe water bottle (glass), and a place to take dust baths. Expect to spend $300 or so at first, on top of the cost of the chin itself.
Chinchillas are not great with kids or other pets.
Chinchillas are not cuddly lap pets. They like to roam around and hang out in their cages. If you bond really closely with one, it will let you hold it and may even sleep in a blanket on your lap…but this level of trust can take literal years to develop.

In conclusion, I know a lot about chinchillas and think that this would be a great pet to have because they do not smell, they do not require a lot of care like the cats do, and we will not have to worry about fleas, because fleas will suffocate in the chinchilla’s dense fur. I know, Mom that you said two years, but I was hoping you could alter the idea a little bit and let me buy the supplies over the course of two years, and then get one. Just something to consider because it would make me feel less frustrated.. The cost of EVERYTHING that I have come up with for one chinchilla is 450 dollars. I know that seems like a lot, but It is providing the chinchilla with the best care possible. You can wait to decide about this, just talk it over and decide if you will think a chinchilla will be good for our family. Take as much time as you want and choose a good option and I am hoping that I will love it SOOO much! I am open for questions about chinchillas if you have any. I have covered most of the mainly important stuff above. I have some other things to tell you about them if you decide YES, but if you decide NO, then I will not tell you! I hope you will decide that a furry chinchilla friend is a great fit for me and our family!
Love,
Me
P.S. I have researched so much about Chinchillas that there is nothing more to research!

Ta-da, that worked for me

I wrote a google docs saying this:
Dear Mom and Dad,

I know that recently I have been thinking about a pet for me and I have finally settled on one that I think you would like. The pet I chose is a Chinchilla. The Chinchilla is a cute little creature that belongs to rodents. There are two species of chinchilla: short-tailed and long-tailed chinchilla. Chinchillas can be found in South America. This animal is adapted to the life in mountains and rocky habitats, at altitudes above 12 000 feet. Chinchillas inhabit Andes. They are named after American Indian tribe called "Chincha" which used chinchilla's fur in the past to produce clothes. Chinchillas were hunted nearly to extinction in the wild over the previous century because of its dense and soft fur. They are still listed as critically endangered species in the wild. First appearing around 41 million years ago, the chinchilla's ancestors were some of the first rodents to infest South America. Chinchilla fur became popular in the 1700s, and the animals were hunted nearly to extinction by 1900. About that time, Argentina, Bolivia, Chile and Peru banned the hunting of wild chinchillas.

Physical characteristics
Chinchillas are related to guinea pigs and porcupines. With short forelimbs and long, muscular hind legs, chinchillas resemble rabbits, but their ears are much shorter and rounder. They have large, black eyes and bushy tails. They have four toes on each foot, and the thin claws on each toe are surrounded by stiff bristles.
Chinchillas are typically 9 to 15 inches (23 to 38 centimeters) long, but the tail can add another 3 to 6 inches (8 to 15 cm) to their length. They generally weigh 1.1 to 1.8 lbs. (0.5 to 0.8 kilograms).
Habitat
Chinchillas are covered in thick fur for a reason. In the Andes, they can live in elevations of about 3,000 to 5,000 meters (9,800 to 16,400 feet). At those heights, it can be very cold — 23 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 5 degrees C) is the average minimum temperature in some places. Chinchillas can tolerate freezing temperatures, but they cannot survive in temperatures higher than 80 F (27 C); high temperatures and humidity can cause these rodents to suffer from heat stroke.
Chinchillas are crepuscular and nocturnal, which means they are very active at dawn or dusk and sleep during the day. They make their homes by burrowing in underground tunnels or nestling in rock crevasses. They are very social and live in colonies that consist of hundreds of chinchillas.

Diet
Chinchillas are omnivores; they eat both plants and meat. Primarily, they eat grass and seeds, but they also eat insects and bird eggs when they get the chance. To eat, they hold their food in their front paws and nibble on it. Chinchillas in captivity mainly eat food consisting of timothy hay and Chinchilla pellets (specially formatted pellets to meet chinchilla’s needs)
Conservation status
Though chinchilla fur is highly valued for use in clothing and coats, the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species has restricted the sale and trade of wild chinchillas since 1975. Many chinchillas are bred commercially for their fur.
Both species of chinchilla are on the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources' endangered-species list. Both the short-tailed chinchilla and the long-tailed chinchilla are listed as critically endangered. Short-tailed chinchillas are thought to be extinct in Bolivia and Peru but are suspected to be recovering in other areas. In 1996, there were only 42 colonies of long-tailed chinchillas, and the population has declined since then and continues to decline.

Pet chinchillas
The Michigan Humane Society recommends keeping domestic chinchillas in a wire mesh cage with a solid floor. The cage should be well ventilated and kept dry and cool in temperatures from 60 to 70 F (16 to 21 C). Chinchillas do not get along well when caged together, and should be kept in individual cages.
Chinchillas can eat food pellets available from pet stores, as well as hay, dried fruits and nuts, and carrots and green vegetables in moderation, or about 10 percent of their daily diet. A bottle equipped with a sipper tube is the best way to provide water.
To stay clean, these rodents give themselves dust baths. It is recommended that domestic chinchillas take dust baths once or twice per week in fine volcanic ash that can be purchased at pet shops.
Overall Pros & COns
Pros:
Chinchillas live a really long time! A lifespan of 15 or more years is common!
Chinchillas are pretty low maintenance. Once you have a cage set up, all they need is refilled water, food, and hay every day, and weekly cage cleanings & new things to chew.
Chinchillas can live in same-sex groups, pairs, or alone. Some chins even prefer being solitary!
Chinchillas are not susceptible to pests such as fleas.
Chinchillas are very clean. They love to bathe and their hair is so dense it doesn’t get very messed up, provided weekly dust baths.
You can give them dust baths as much as you like! It’s adorable and they love it.
Chinchillas smell really good. Unlike most other rodent pets, they and their cages smell fresh and clean. Even their pee is pretty close to odorless.
They are incredibly soft.
They’re the best looking animal on the planet. Blending the awkwardness of a squirrel with the plump sweetness of a bunny, a chinchilla is truly the whole package.
They are pretty affordable to keep, once you’re set up.
While they enjoy playing and can form close bonds with their humans, they also are just fine chilling out in their cages for extended periods and won’t get depressed if left alone a bit.
Cons:
They have very specific dietary needs and delicate GI tracts. Unlike many other pets, you cannot give them bites of human food, even fruits or veggies. Pellets, Hay, and safe treats are it.
Very few treats are safe for them. Most available in pet stores are loaded with sugar and fat, which their bodies can’t digest well. The only safe treats are: oats, plain shredded wheats, dried goji berries, and rosehips.
They must be closely observed during play time to ensure they do not eat anything unsafe, destroy furniture or power cords, or climb into small spaces never to return.
They can squeeze into very small spaces and hide there, despite their chubby appearance. Don’t let their fluffy butts fool you. Their ribs are collapsible so they can wriggle in passages of two inches or less.
They waste a lot of hay. Their instinct to forage makes them very picky eaters in this regard.
They can develop diabetes if you do not feed them well. Again, simple pellets, hay, and safe treats only. No foods filled with added fruits or puffs.
They often fall prey to dental problems. If their teeth grow too long or at an odd angle, this can even be fatal. Tooth spurs are also a problem. We can prevent this by giving them lots of chew toys.
They hide illness very well. Like most prey animals, they have an evolved tendency to obscure any signs of weakness. This means you may not catch illness until it’s too late.
You should be prepared to cage every chinchilla separately at any time. Even if two chins got along as cagemates for 10 years, they may begin to fight seemingly out of nowhere and need to be split up. Their relationships are complex!
Cage set up is expensive! A chinchilla needs a place to sleep/hide, multiple safe ledges, chew toys of wood, pumice, and other safe materials, an exercise wheel or flying saucer, a food bowl, a hay rack, a safe water bottle (glass), and a place to take dust baths. Expect to spend $300 or so at first, on top of the cost of the chin itself.
Chinchillas are not great with kids or other pets.
Chinchillas are not cuddly lap pets. They like to roam around and hang out in their cages. If you bond really closely with one, it will let you hold it and may even sleep in a blanket on your lap…but this level of trust can take literal years to develop.

In conclusion, I know a lot about chinchillas and think that this would be a great pet to have because they do not smell, they do not require a lot of care like the cats do, and we will not have to worry about fleas, because fleas will suffocate in the chinchilla’s dense fur. I know, Mom that you said two years, but I was hoping you could alter the idea a little bit and let me buy the supplies over the course of two years, and then get one. Just something to consider because it would make me feel less frustrated.. The cost of EVERYTHING that I have come up with for one chinchilla is 450 dollars. I know that seems like a lot, but It is providing the chinchilla with the best care possible. You can wait to decide about this, just talk it over and decide if you will think a chinchilla will be good for our family. Take as much time as you want and choose a good option and I am hoping that I will love it SOOO much! I am open for questions about chinchillas if you have any. I have covered most of the mainly important stuff above. I have some other things to tell you about them if you decide YES, but if you decide NO, then I will not tell you! I hope you will decide that a furry chinchilla friend is a great fit for me and our family!
Love,
Me
P.S. I have researched so much about Chinchillas that there is nothing more to research!

Ta-da, that worked for me

Wow, you did your homework for sure :clap1::clap1: May I grab it?

Back