Chinchilla Sneezing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bun Bun

I have a 2 year old chin named Bun Bun :) She lives in the double critter nation cage and has recently started sneezing more than usual. I deep cleaned her cage like 1-2 months ago and changed the bottom floor's bedding to tile. I also slowly changed her diet and hay (timothy). )She still uses the same dust) But i did recently buy her some treats that she's never had before (goji berries, chamomile, granulated bee pollen, lavender, rosehips, and these rose lookin things) (every treat I bought for her was from Ronda's Chinchillas or TJ's Chin)
Could Apple twigs be the problem? Or the different toys I got her? Is it possible that my chin might be allergic to one of the treats?

My first thought would be allergy or upper respiratory infection. Watch for any change in behavior, runny nose, coughing, etc. Allergies can be managed once you find out what causes them, but a URI can be deadly and you'll need to get her to a vet.

It could also be as simple as dust in her nose if the sneezing happen after a dust bath? Maybe even a hour or two later when she may have sniffed something with dust on it in the cage? I know my guys will sometimes sit and beg with their noses sticking out of the cage, and will sometimes sneeze if they inhale some dust that has settled on the bars.

It's possible she is allergic to something in the treats. It's unlikely the apple twigs, sneezing from allergies is going to be caused by something they inhale, like dust or pollen, unless the apple twigs have something on them. I would stop all treats and put them away for now and see if the symptoms stop.

Also have you or anyone in the house changed perfumes or colones or anything? Any new pets? or other pets near the chin? or handled any other animals and then the chin?

No one sprays anything near the chins because they know that I would snap at them :hilarious: No signs of coughing and I have not given her any treats for the past 4 days and her sneezing seems to be a lot better!

Cold she be allergic to the food? Or should I sweep the cage more than once a day to ensure that there isn't to much l dust laying around?

Wait...it seems that my chin is sneezing more when she's on tile so i'm going to try and sweep more often

Back