Introductions: What's Normal, What's Not?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marilynliddell

Tonight we let Chia and Abby out for playtime together. I don't think I've ever been so terrified in my life, I was shaking (still am) the entire time.

At first they didn't really notice each other, when they were both around the dust bath they really just ignored each other and dusted.

But when they finally SAW each other, Chia chased Abby around and then Abby would run away and Chia would get distracted by something else... this went on for a little while. There was some fur shedding but not much, and no harm was done at all. Then they seemed to clash a bit... they slammed into each other, I think accidentally, Chia flipped and Abby let out a little cry. There are no injuries or anything, but we scooped Abby up real quick and took them both back to their cages.

What kind of abnormal behavior should I be looking for when putting them back together? I don't think that anything bad necessarily was about to happen but I got freaked and separated them anyway. I've done so much reading but I'm not sure what the bad signs should look or sound like. I knew Chia would be the dominant one, so that's no surprise, but I'm not sure what violence would look like. Chia is naturally SO hyper and just so all over the place (she's my ADHD chin!) so she always kind of looks and acts a bit ... crazy lol. And I'm a nervous wreck so I want to constantly interviene when I probably should not.

Anyway, back to my question... What is the first sign of trouble? Any specific kind of sound, movement, or anything else?

I don’t have the answer but I am in the exact same boat. I’m so worried my chin-children are going to get hurt I’m afraid to put them back together. I just want them to love each other as much as I love the both of them.

Back