New hedgie bonding?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verte

I've had my hedgie for about a month now , and in her short life.. she's had a lot of upheaval..

(2 owners before me, one owner for about 2-3 weeks before I 'rescued' her)

Now, she's only about 8 months I think.. but she doesn't like me picking her up.. so how can I bond with her?

Is there a special way of getting her trust? I've tried leaving my hand in the cage, offering her food (most of the time she runs away to her play tunnel) but occasionally she will stand on my hand and then hop off when I try to pick her up!

Any help/advice would be amazing as I'd love to bond with her!

(I understand this is probably a common topic as well, so I apologise in advance.)

Some things you can try is to leave a shirt you have worn in her cage so she can get used to your smell. Treats are good. You can try scooping her up with a piece of fleece, she might feel safer if she is wrapped up. Then you can hold her on your lap while she is in the blankie while you watch TV or are on the computer. Just being with you an a daily basis will help a lot.

My girl is still relatively new to me and very huffy. What I have found works best for her is to put her in a snuggle bag on my lap while I watch tv or play on my computer. After she got used to being with me, I would put my hand in the snuggle bag with her until she would eventually let me touch her in the bag. Just recently she's been snuggling under my shirt without her snuggle bag. She's still huffy, but she's getting better. Be patient and have a routine with your new girl. :)

Back