Craigslist

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I clicked the link, it says the author has deleted this page...

Is it working or is it just my laptop?

Looks like the author deleted it. I bet someone reported them for their stupidity.

I didn't see the post but I did come across a breeder the other day located in Oregon saying that as terms of the contact that they are "on loan" and she has the right to take them back should she decide to. She also says people are not allowed to breed them and if she gets wind of them breeding that she owns all the rights to the babies.

http://www.westcoasthedgehogs.com/aboutus.html

Under policies and procedures: "I will NOT sell to pet stores or wholesalers. I also will not sell a male and a female to the same person, or to two people who might "accidentally" put the two hedgehogs together. If I find that a hedgehog sold as a pet has been used for breeding purposes, West Coast Hedgehogs may confiscate the hedgehog(s) and any offspring remaining in the buyer's possession. When you buy a hedgehog from me, you sign my contract that agrees that I still co-own (holding the breeding rights) that hedgehog, so yes, I can take it and the babies back if you violate our agreement."

I doubt that would stand up in court. Honestly though, you would be an idiot to buy from someone like that. Co-owned? Then you can co-own the vet bills and the upkeep too.

That's what I figured. I just laughed and moved on. Maybe their heart is in the right place and they don't want hedgies to end up in a dangerous situation but they come across as overbearing and selfish.

Actually a lot of breeders of many animals make a similar contract to prevent unwanted breeding and homeless animals. That ones wording is a little strong but I consider a contract of no breeding or the animals are reclaimed to be the sign of a responsible breeder. Only the animals they deem quality enough and owners they find knowledgeable and committed enough are allowed to breed. In dogs and horses you can refuse registration until neutered (for both genders of dogs) or castrated (male horses, females are rarely spayed). You can also do a limited pedigree registration that doesn't have a neuter clause but doesn't allow the animal to be shown at a certain level or any offspring from it to ever be registered. The benefit of working with purebreds under major registration groups.

Back