Chinchilla Malo

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KChavez

Hello,

I am asking for input on my chinchilla. He has had eye discharge for about 3 months now that has been pretty mild. He went to the vet, for a corneal ulcer test done, and results came back with no injury. He was prescribed antibiotic eye drops, which did not work. He then was prescribed ointment, which also did not work. He has been fine for a while, with the discharge not worsening or getting better. Today, his eye was closed shut and had goopy, yellow discharge. He has been eating fine, drinking, pooping, peeing, active, and still chews on toys, and also does not show signs of drooling. Is it possible he could have Malo with this type of discharge, or would it be more watery? He also has a very red eye, as well as hair loss and red dining around the eye. Does it seem more like an infection?

It does sounds like an infection, but since the antibiotics didn't work my next though would be tooth issues. Were any x-rays taken to check the teeth and roots? If not that would be my next move. If the roots are poking him in the eye from inside it could be causing an infection, and since the roots are still there the infection isn't going to go away. I've also heard of a situation where the roots of the molars had grown into the sinuses, causing pain and an infection and the discharge was coming out the eye.

Unfortunately chins do hide pain well, so he could be in horrible pain and still try to act normal. They chew the toys with their front teeth, and can even eat pellets just with their front teeth if they have to, but they need to grind hay with their molars is he still eating his hay ok? If not that could also point to tooth issues.

He is still eating hay fine, and he enjoys it. The vet recommended an oral antibiotic along with a different topical treatment for 20 days. If this does not help, then I will definitely get the X-ray. The vet said based on his exam, it does not seem like a root issue, but could still be possible.

Back