chinchilla smell

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket290

Hello, occasionally my chinchilla will abruptly bark(?)/mating call noise and emit a bad smell. Should I be concerned? I don't believe its me because he'll do this when I'm not even touching him. He's eating and drinking properly, his droppings look fine, and he's urinating normally.
Thanks

So long as everything else is normal, and it doesn't happen often I wouldn't worry about it. Chins can release scent from their anal glands when angry or startled, it kind of smells like burnt almonds, maybe that is what you are smelling?

If he's angry, how can I calm him down? I'm not sure if this relates to the current subject, but I've heard him make an odd noise a month or two ago. I managed to get a video of it, but I've only heard this sound once. https://youtu.be/lGoBAjyyiU4
Thanks

If something is upsetting him you need to figure out what it is and stop it to calm him. It could be a loud noise, a smell, something he saw, etc.

The noise you posted just sounds like a contact call, basically calling out to say "Hello? anyone there?" Or " Warning! I heard/smelled/saw something that could be dangerous" Chins sometimes also make that noise when they are suddenly awoken while sleeping, my guess is they had a bad dream.

Back