Considering A Show....

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickster

So I'm thinking about entering one of my chins in a show for 2014 or 2015 but I don't know squat about showing chinchillas. So please no rude comments, just everything I need to know.

my best advice to you would be to attend a show without.your chinchilla, go early and watch people groom. Then you'll have an idea of how it works so the next show you go to with your chinchilla you will at least have an idea of how things work.

Definately show your chinchilla. It's a good experience for any chinchilla owner weither you go and watch one first or take your chinchilla on the first one. Someone is normally done early enough to help, may even let you borrow there combs. If i were you i would try and contact someone before the show date to see if they may have time to help teach you. Just a thought!

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865

Thats the Show FAQ list on CnH, I found it very helpful when I first was looking at shows, it even has etiquette! Also, don't feel shy bringing your chinchilla to the first show you attend, it can be a fun experience even if it gets the worst ranking!

For preparation you want to find a show date near you, and look up the rules for that show. Some shows you have to be a member of the organization to show a chin, others it's just a different entry fee for your animal. The usually have an email you can contact for questions and I have always found the people polite and helpful when I ask them for information! About a month from the show start dusting your chinchilla more and if they have bad habits like sitting in a pee spot try to keep the cage really clean so they aren't stained.

Even if you go without a chinchilla, I found the experience really fun and educational!

Where in pa are you? You can always visit a breeder. Many people would be happy to show you or even car pool to a show.

I would vote to take your chin with you, the older they get the less likely they will show their best. It also gives you the best way to judge what you have compared to what takes the top awards. Most all shows will have a lot of people willing to help you out with the details. Of course anything you can pick up before hand will be a plus.

If you have the chance go to a field day because they are about learning and a little less formal. If your breeder shows ask if they will show you around or find someone here to ask if they don't mind showing you the ropes. I only went to two shows but I learned so very much and my breeder walked me through it. Everyone was really nice, explained what they were doing and why. The judge even when over Edgar's results with me knowing I was very new so I could understand why he was a 2nd. It was amazing to be in a room with so many people who knew so much and so willing to share information. I really hope you get to go to one.

I live in South Western PA and my best of my 2 is 4 years old. Her fur looks great except for the pee stains on her underside. She is a violet, and would I need her papers? Her previous owner has them but I can get them. And if you wanna see pics, pm me for my email.

plan on going to a field day and take one or both of your chins. I just showed for the first time this last spring and it was a fantastic experience. I had brought three to show and was afraid that it would be too much for an inexperienced person to handle, but found with help from others showing me the ropes it wasn't too hard. The more chins you bring, the more you'll get to practice grooming, and that is a good thing because you're going to want to practice as much as you can while people are showing you how to do it right.

You don't need the papers. I showed my girl at 4 years old, they can oxidise as they age but she still got champion female, even if she got a 3rd it still would have been a great experience so I say go for it if you get the chance. =D

It's nice to hear that it wasn't a bad idea. I'm really looking into it. Just not for '13,i just wanna practice grooming, prepare my chins,clean stains etc, get show cage, and all the other stuff.

I am near Pittsburgh...feel free to get in touch with me. The PA show is in April... Be glad to help ya! You are welcome to stop by and I can show you how to groom and answer any questions...

I actually live really close to Pittsburgh. I live around Greensburg! So maybe you could hello me out and stuff! Where is the one in April? If it's too far, I can't go.

I am only like 40 minutes if that even from Greensburg...right down RT 70W in Monessen. The PA show is in April usually around State College but I am going so if you would like to go let me know... :)

Last edited:
I live in the Johnstown for the school year which works out great cause Milesburg is even closer.Im not absolutely sure on this but i might considering all the support. :)

You don't have to commit to breeding to go to a show. I actually would recommend it for any pet owner as well. For me the point of going was to decide if I wanted to consider breeding and to learn. Because I have two boys that are really good quality I thought about breeding. Thanks to all of the wonderful people at the show I learned I'd rather play with my boys than breed them. I got so much advice and everyone was so nice that I would actually go to a show again if they were closer to me.

Back