Cage liner as a “poo guard”

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesireeChinchillas

Hey everyone, this is my first time actually posting on here so I hope it actually works! I saw on Chewy.com that they have a “Sheer Guard Bird Cage Skirt” and it says the material is nylon. I use fleece bedding for my chins, but you know how they make a mess anyway. I was wondering if I could get any opinions on if the bed skirt would be a good or bad idea. Any response is appreciated, thanks!

It looks like nylon mesh fabric, so no I don't think that would be a good idea at all. The chins would likely just chew it up, and at worst swallow some of it.

A couple other ideas would be to get metal pans from somewhere like Bass Equipment, you can get up to 3 inches deep. They also sell metal urine guards which might work as poop guards. Or since you already use fleece you could try weaving maybe up to 6 inch wide strips of fleece through the bars. Some people have also made poop guards around the cage using wood boards.

Poop guard

I have poop guard made of thin plastic (the one that usually comes in translucent white and looks like a cardboard, just made of plastic). Those are slid into fleece sleeves, with two through holes each and bolts that hold them in place. You can make those yourself. They don't block all debris but certainly most of it.

This is my first post here, I hope this link showing them (the purple guards at the bottom of the top level) will work -

Back