ugh bugs-different bedding suggestion?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

We've been using kiln dried pine for nursing hedgies since fleece proved to get too dirty during the time we couldn't clean it. Well this time after 3 weeks of use we have little beetles coming out of the shavings and gathering at the water bowl. They don't seem to be bothering the hedgies luckily and we should be able to switch them back to fleece this week. What else can we use that will stay good for 2-3weeks until the sow let's us change it? 2 of them aren't too upset by change or looking at their hoglets but I have one that can't be disturbed at all or she attacks them. Her litter turned out really nice though with great personalities, good quill density, wide variety of color... so I'd like to breed her again but her cage has to be left alone in the corner mostly covered for 3-4weeks before disturbing her offspring and cleaning.

Wish I knew the answer to the best way to handle a bug infestation while baby hedgies are not yet weaned from momma hedgie.

For everyone else, I'd clean the heck out of everything, toss any of the old shavings (in case that's where the bugs originated), and put them on fleece.

Babies and momma... oh boy. I'd be counting the days until I could get momma and the little ones out of the shavings and onto fleece.

Back