Perfect room temperature

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddykay

I've always read 60-70 degrees is ideal, but what is the most perfect temperature? I love my room cold at night when I'm sleeping and sometimes it gets down to 59 degrees in here. How cold is too cold?

There isn't a perfect temp, other then below 75 F with below 50% humidity, 60-70 sounds good, but chins can handle much colder. Too cold is if the water freezes, but only because then they would have no water, lol, the lowest I've known chins to be in and survive was around 20 F (during a power outage in the winter). Chins can't sweat and are wearing a very thick fur coat, so very little to no heat loss on there bodies, if it's not too cold for you it's definitely not too cold for your chin.

^Agreed, for your chins' favorite temps, try a week at 60 and a week at 65 and a week at 70 - you'll be able to see how active they are, and which temps they prefer :p

We keep the heat pump on 64-68f and he seems pretty comfortable and active at that temp. Really it feels even cooler than that. It's a large room, I don't think the heat spreads around it real well. I almost a always wear a hoodie in here lol.

Depends on the chin, I have two that love 55 deg, one that gets cold and likes 68 deg, we settle on 65 in the winter, 70 in the summer.

Honestly my chinchillas have lives through temps as low as 40 degrees, when my mom's heater went out. We weren't proactively trying to keep them warm, and they didn't really seem to care. Cold really isn't an issue for them as much as heat. Imagine wearing a really thick coat all the time.

I keep my house at 68 F in the winter and 70 F in the summer. My chin could probably do lower, but he's just fine with these temps. I've seen chins in the wild in Peru and the temperatures in the mountains vary widely -- mostly it depends on if the sun is out. When I was wearing my fleece, the chins were perching on the rocks... and when I got too hot, they hid in the cool crevices.

Back