dead baby.... :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillalover0927

to many chin chips??
tonight i came home from work and found pebbles' dead baby in the cage...i dont know what went wrong, she was cold but only felt as if she had been dead for a short period of time, she wasnt stiff at all yet, hoping i could do anything i put her under some warm water and did try mouth to mouth on her to try,i worked on her for about 20 minutes but i dont think there was any hope for her..............im so sad..i weighed her and she is 26 grams..do you all think maybe she was premature...??? the sack was off of her ambilical chord and everything so pebbles got her out fine and did her mommy instincts but i just dont know what happened :(

i named her daisy :(

383317986.jpg

This unfortunately is one of the "side effects" of breeding. These things happen as everyone warned you they do. I'm not trying to be mean or anything like that...just stating the facts. I'm very sorry your first experience with breeding has ended in heartbreak.

The baby appears to be slightly premature but sometimes birth defects cause a full term baby to be underdeveloped. I'm assuming the mother is a first timer. Complications are usually more common with first time moms. Have you tried palpating the mother's stomach to make sure she doesn't have any more kits inside or seen her eating the afterbirth? I would make sure mom does not have more babies as they could be dead in the womb and endanger the mother's life.

She looks premature to me, although I am looking at this picture on my phone's small screen. It looks to me like she isn't even fully-furred, especially on her undersides.

Is Pebbles the one you got from the petstore last summer? Who is the father?

i was thinking that she looked somewhat premiture also but i wasnt 100% and i know you arent trying to be mean i understand...and yes pebbles is the one that came from the pet store that i had put in breeding before i knew better..... she was paired with deuce my tov white vc mosiac male..from what i know it was her first litter.i do not know if she was bred before i got her..and yes i picked her up and felt her tummy she doesnt have anymore..and i found the after birth within an inch of the baby,not attatched or anything just sitting there...like i said i just dont know what happened..she is fully intact no wounds that would show that she had problems coming out or nothing like that :( looks like delivery went fine,just something happened after..

Premature babies are underdeveloped and their chance of survival is next to zero. The baby was probably stillborn...it doesn't look like it every took a breath though I can't say for sure since I didn't see it born. The ears don't even look like they've separated from its head? If you didn't see the kit alive and it wasn't dry and fluffy when you came home...it probably was stillborn. My females will not clean or dry stillborn babies but they will still eat the placenta.

That is normal for the afterbirth to not be attached. The afterbirth is just that...AFTER birth. They have the kits and eat the placenta surrounding them the moment the baby comes out and when they are completely done having kits they will pass a large bloody mass known as the afterbirth...which they eat.

...yes like you said she was not dry when i found her,the most drying she did was just from the air,he ears were never seperated from the head and her eyes were not open at all,completely closed...she looked as if she had never even moved...in a way i hope she was still born so that she didnt suffer :( my poor little daisy..i feel horrible for my pebbles also that she went threw all of that and has nothing to show out of it...i picked her up and gave her big kisses and told her that she was a good mommy and that she did nothing wrong..

also the placenta was gone,maybe one little piece that i took off,but pebbles did eat that off the baby ,so i know she tried :(

Then the kit was most likely stillborn. I hope Pebbles becomes a permanent pet. She is MUCH too small for breeding which probably contributed largely to the complications with this kit. According to the weights you took a couple weeks ago, she was only 560g while carrying a kit and that is extremely small. Also, the father was only five months old(if the breeding occured around Nov 5th) and younger males...while still able to produce babies are not entirely able to produce HEALTHY babies. I am glad that you separated them when you did, but unfortunately for the kit it was not soon enough.

pebbles-standard-560 grams-may 1,2008
deuce-tov white vc-486 grams-may 13,2009

I hope that other people with aspirations for breeding see this and see the folly in placing chinchillas together right away. And also, Courtney, this is another reason to take a BIG step back and re-evaluate the chinchillas you have now. If they are similar in quality to Pebbles I would not breed any of them. You need to be extremely careful with your selection of breeding stock so that you can try to minimize the dangers to your females and their potential kits. Again, I'm sorry you had to experience that, but it is a part of breeding to lose kits and not a fun thing.

So sorry about daisy. I lost an 8month old kit monday and i was so upset about it. I agree with tabitha that maybe its a good time to evaluate the herd and what your hopes for them are...its just something we all have to do from time to time is evaluate our pairs and where we are.

yes i understand,like i said pebbles and deuce were placed together when i first got them,they have been seperated... pebbles was one of my earlier chins,all my chins i got after her were much better quality..and yes she is going to be my permanent pet, i feel so bad for my little girl and my poor little daisy who didnt get to experience life, i think it hurts me so much cuz it was my FIRST breeding and look what happened...life goes on and i know things happen , but im just sad about the whole situations...i think out of everuthing i feel the most for pebbles knowing she carried that baby for absolutely nothing...

This is why I don't want to breed, and why chosing to breed is so serious.

i buried her today, i did notice she did have hair on her tummy but her tail didnt look rite..she was dry when i buried her so thats how i saw it, but i guess id rather her have went now than later

i weighed lexi today and she is now 765 she was about 670 before so im assuming she is also pregnant so i will be moving her to her maturnity cage today just to be safe...and ill hope for the best, and pray that things dont come out the same way :(

I really hope she is your last pregnancy, for the sake of her and the kits, and I hope you have an emergency chin-savvy vet.
You will be in my thoughts and I hope Lexi has a healthy and successful birth.

I also suggest you take Pebbles to the vet to make sure everything is ok with her. She may look okay, but the stress of birth and a stillborm may have caused internal problems.

Welcome to breeding. Look at my thread- just had a litter of quads. Only one is alive. 2 either still born, or trampled and 1 ripped apart with her head barely attached.

Sorry about the kit.

yes megan i read your thread i was so sorry to hear that and i have an appointment for pebbles tomorrow to make sure everything is ok. and lexi was the one that was paired with my ebony male before i split my two breeding pairs up, im almost certain she has to be pregnant, that was to much weight gain to fast for it to be from food.

Back