Male and Female?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinJinx

I have a one year old chin male named Milo. He is a black velvet and has one his way into my heart after only a month. I bought him alone, the old owners didn't take very good care of him. They placed him in a small cage all by himself and I'm currently trying to find him a friend before he gets depressed. If I got a neutered female do you think it would be possible to bond them? I'm to young and inexperienced with chins to breed yet but whenever I'm looking I can only find females. I haven't got him a friend yet I was just wondering if it could be possible. Also is there any way of seeing if a male has been neuteured? The previous owner said she didn't know if he was.

Thank you!!

If you can find a spayed female, and I highly doubt it, there's still no guarantee. Most people don't spay chins because they don't do well under anesthesia. The only reason they spay is when it is medical necessity (generally a stillbirth or something else pregnancy related).

If you want to get him a friend, get a male friend. There is information on how to do introductions here on the forum. I personally trim their whiskers back really short, put them in a completely clean cage with clean bedding, throw in a dust bath and hay, and keep an eye on them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The same goes with females as well. There's never a guarantee on whether they will get along.

If he doesn't have testicles, then he's castrated.

Where are you located? Maybe we can help you find a young male.

I heared thay sometimes chinchillas won't bond no matter what and that's what I'm scared of. Right now I don't have enough money saved up to buy a cage since I just ordered a chinspin for milo and shopping to Canada is quite expensive. If you know any breeders or people selling their chinchilla around in Alberta then that would be much appreciated! Closer to the edmonton area would work better for me cause I don't want to scare them by being in the car for a long time.

Thank you alot for all your help! Il make sure to get him a male friend sometime in the future (Hopefully sooner rather then later! )

Male testicles are tucked up inside most of the time so it's hard to tell just by looking. Due to the risks (not only with the anesthesia, complications during and after surgery are not uncommon) and cost, spaying and neutering is not common, so I would guess he is not neutered. It's hard enough finding a vet that even sees chins, let alone one that knows how to and has spayed or neutered one.

Also if you get a second chin you need a second cage. You'll need to quarantine the new chin in a separate room for 30 days to make sure it settles in properly, give you a chance to start establishing a bond, and make sure it's not sick with anything that it could pass on to your current chin.

You are right, not all chins will successfully bond, in which case you would need to house them in separate cages forever. Personalities seem to matter more then age, so depending on your chin's personality try to find one that matches. If Milo is dominate you want to find a more submissive chin, if Milo is submissive though you can try another submissive chin or a more dominate chin. Two dominate chins will likely not get along though since they will be fighting over who is boss. Even then there is no guarantee, it's like putting two humans together, not all humans like all other humans. Also even bonded pairs can sometimes have a falling out, just like human relationships sometimes fail, and they no longer want to be friends. So you will always need either the ablity to split the cage or have a second cage on hand, just in case.

I no longer have any suggestions for breeders in Alberta area, it seems most have stopped breeding around here. Maybe try the SPCA and Humane Society? Even if they don't have any right now you can let them know you are looking so they can give you a call if and when they do get any in. I also frequently see chins and chin stuff for sale around Alberta on kijiji.

Back