Help baby chinchilla got foot stuck and won’t walk on it!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a baby chinchillas born on may 20th. One of them got its foot stuck in the panel as I cleaned out the cage and I didn’t realize it, I was in a hurry and I have been gone all day. When I got back and saw it I freed him and he is hopping around and eating but not putting any weigh on it at all. What should I do? Will he be fine or will I have to put him down? Is he to young to be put to sleep and have it removed?

First off get him to a chin knowledgeable vet to see if any bad damage is done. You may want to take mom and babies together. If baby is in pain it may not nurse well if at all wether it is just a sprain or a break and what may be done at this young age would best be assessed by the vet. Go today since tomorrow is holiday and regular offices are likely closed and most ER vets are not really chin knowledgeable. Let us know how things turn out please!

So I called my vet that day and she said I could bring him in if I want but there is noting she can do since we knew it was not broken. She said she needed me to wait a couple days and if it turned black or blue then he lost blood flow and the leg needed to be taken off. I did and it remained swollen but not black or blue. My vet said it should heal then just give it time and some pain meds. Up until now everything was great until a few days ago he started chewing it. Then he chewed his whole toe off and the cage was filled with puddles of blood, my vet had me wrap it in cotton swabs and tape until tomorrow morning he will go in and get it taken off. I will post how that goes tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

It's been a few months and we had a few healing issues, he chewed one of his toes off, but its healed completely! (he is just missing a toe now) We did take him into the vet and got meds. Then he was taken into the vet a few times for follow ups and his last follow up is today. He had a cast on for about a month but its off now and he is good!

Back