Is there something wrong with them?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiloTheChin

Milo is my baby boi
I have two chins that I'm trying to bond together. It's not working very well so far but that's not what this is about.

They both seem more easy going then chins I see on YouTube. They dont chew as much (other then pumice and willow balls) and they arnt into jumping around in their cage

One of them is a black velvet and he is a bit older then a year. He loves to run on his wheel. He's definitely more active then the other one but I'm concerned that he may not be chewing enough. I provide him with many toys.

My other chin is a mosaic and he is 3-4 years old. He is in a smaller cage but that's only because I wanna move them both to the double critternation cage. Is has levels but has no since for ledges. He runs on his flying saucer sometimes but not as obsessively. The only thing I have seen him chew on is wicker balls, hay and sometimes pumice. Most of the day he sleeps. I have even pulled an all nighter to see if he's more active at night but he isnt.

Do you have any idea what could be wrong with him? Should I take him for a check up?

(Side note I have had my black velvet chin for 2-3 months and my mosaic chin for about a month now)

Thank you in advance!

If this is not new behavior it's possible they are just mellow chins. I find what you see on YouTube is a very skewed view of chins. People aren't going to post chins just sitting around, they are going to post the chins that are being hyper.

As for not chewing much, have you tried different types of wood chews? Different chins have different preferences for what they like to chew, most love apple wood, but there is a whole bunch of other chin safe wood types. You can also try different sizes too, some chins like twigs, others like sticks, others like coins, etc. I don't advise getting chew sticks at a big pet store (petsmart, petland, places like that) though, chins don't tend to like them, they are probably old and over processed.

If they don't have things to do they can get bored and sleep a lot too, just like humans. Do you change around toys often? Change out what is in the cage for toys? Maybe rearrange the cage? Do they get out of cage playtime? I know my guys tend to be a lot more active when I put new toys in the cage or when I rearrange the cage. I also hide treats around the cage for them to find sometimes, primarily pieces of crushed rose hips and/or rose petals.

Back