Should I pick my chinchilla up yet?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all! I am a new chinchilla owner and I love my little Tuck already! He is a sweet, spunky guy! I am actually kind of afraid to pet or hold him too soon, though, because I have read so much about how I need to "let them come to you." I am definitely patient enough and totally get that! But... I need to change his bedding out pretty badly; I'm using Carefresh and I am wanting to switch to Aspen asap because of all of the scares I've read about impaction. I don't want to go in after him and pick him up, but I also don't want to give him "free roaming play time" in a safe space until he appropriately acclimates to his new home, either! I don't want to upset or frighten him. He isn't comfortable with being petted yet, also. I have had him for 4 days, from a local pet store. (He was also very very comfortable with me holding him in the pet store, and the workers carried him gently around a lot. He was so friendly there! Now he's just adjusting I think.) Please help!!! :)

You can try to scoop him up and if you have a carrier or spare cage put him in that when you clean the cage. He will likely not be happy about it but should get over it quickly once he realizes nothing happened. It takes most chins at least a week to settle in, but for some about a month to fully get use to a new home. If you don't see him eating the carefresh yet then I would just wait a few more days to let him settle in more. If he is acting really scared you can try just changing some of the litter out a bit at a time with him still in the cage.

Ok, thank you both! I'm going to buy a scoop today to see if he'll let me clean with him in the cage! He's been making great strides in being less scared and more friendly.

Thank you!

Thank you both! I will buy a scoop tonight and try scooping and replacing the aspen bedding tonight with Mr. Tuck still in his cage. He's getting very friendly now that he's adjusting to his new home! He won't let us pet him outright yet, but he trusts me enough to crawl into my hand and come out of his cage when I'm sitting there. So, things are going pretty well for our little guy! I am in love with my first chinchilla! I used some aspen bedding sprinkled on top of the CareFresh these last few days and it's been going well.

Back