Not nibbles, not quite biting, but something?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amyjane94

Hiya, I rescued a chinny a few months ago and have been having a great time bonding with him and spoiling him with loads of attention, I've noticed sometimes he nibbles me, which from what I've read is like grooming/social behaviours which is fine. However lately (last couple of weeks?) he's been doing something a little different, and I'm not sure if it's out of annoyance or if its another grooming/social thing?

Basically when I'm giving him chin scritches or petting him he likes to stop me occassionally and kind of bites? Like he grabs my fingers and puts them between his teeth and then kinda just... presses his teeth on them? It's not painful, and I don't think he's trying to hurt me, he just does that a few times and then lets go and waits for more scritches. Then rinse and repeat.

Not a major concern, I'm just curious why he's doing it. I don't want to be annoying him and wondered if it's some kind of warning like "please stop this or I will bite you"? Or if it's a mutual "you give me scritches and I'll give you cute little bite things"? :hmm:

Hi there! I rescued a chinchilla too, and the same thing is going on with mine. She loves scritches, and she's very expressive. When she has had enough scritches, she'll hop away, or do a somewhat rough nibble to indicate she is done. She does this nibble whenever my hand is in the way of where she wants to go to. It's just a way to say "Move please" or "I'm done now!" It doesn't hurt but it did confuse me at first too.

Back