Petunia's play time!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PetuniaHedgie

Hi all I'm new here and loving all the forums I've been reading them non-stop since I've found this place. I picked up my hedgie this past Friday and I adore her. The main question I have though as a new hedgehog owner is how long should I have her out of her cage a day? I've been trying to let her run around roaming free for about an hour and then she has all her toys and wheel in her cage as well. Is an hour a good amount of time or should I extend it? Thanks so much!

1503955_233708913467757_578226647_n.jpg

She loves my husbands socks!

An hour is a good amount of time to have her out. I usually aim for a half hour to an hour of time outside the cage per day.

Depends on the hedgie and the play area. Satin, for example was good for about half an hour, then she'd get the "please bring me back to my home look" and start making statements (smooshy poops). Tex would snuggle for hours. Bella is typically at 5 to 10 minutes max, then gets super anxious, will try to leave for home on her own, and will willingly make suicidal plunges to get back to her home. Marlee is fine for hours too... as long as she's under your shirt.

Keep an eye on your hedgie. Look for signs of distress. Also, if she's roaming freely (make sure every single escape route is blocked off, make sure the area is clean and free of strings or hair that can wrap around toes, etc...), keep an eye on her temperature. Floors can be chilly places. You'll want to scoop her up to make sure her belly and feet are toasty warm.

Back