2 Chins - Placement of food, water, and hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spodumena

I was just wondering if people had opinions on the best set up location-wise of food and water for 2 bonded chins?

I recently got them a new cage, so they will be able to spread out a lot more once everything is set up. Right now they have 2 food dishes, 2 hay dispensers, and 2 water bottles – and all of these items are located at the bottom level of their cage. They're used to this set up. But I was just wondering if in their new cage it makes sense to either a) keep this set up, or b) put 1 of each food dish, water bottle, and hay dispenser on each level? I just want to make sure that the transition is as easy as possible for them. I'll be using the same food dishes, water bottles, and hay dispensers, so those things will be familiar. And I also want to ensure that I am helping them continue to get along well [as far as I am able to, anyway!].

Any opinions would be much appreciated!

I like to have the food and water set up on the top and bottom, the hay I actually have 3 holders (mostly because i had two and found another that I liked too), and scatter hay cubes around the cage for them to find. You never know if they will decide to be meanies and prevent the other from getting to the food and water, they physically can't be in two places at once. I've rearranged the cage several times and they have never had an issue finding their food and water.

Having it set up on the top and bottom also makes it easier if I ever do have to separate them, the stuff is already there so one less thing to have to do.

Back