How long did it take for your chin to warm up to you?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How long did it take for you chin to warm up to you?

• Total voters

laurenxx810

Just curious to see how long it took your fur baby(s) to become comfortable with you as I am a first time chin mom to a 2.5 year old male, Oliver!

I'd say a about 2 weeks to warm up to me. Not totally tame at that point though.

Definitely varies with each chin, but mine became very comfortable and bonded around 3-4 months in. Some need the human bond less than others, they're happy bouncing about in their own world and I'm fairly certain their human could be replaced and they wouldn't notice - but my more intelligent chins definitely took their sweet time to get to know me and it has been rewarding spending each day with them since that trust was fully established. It is, of course, an ongoing practice of bonding and care.

My male chinchilla, who was a rescue, took awhile....maybe two months. My little girl, who I got about 2 months ago, took about 2 weeks to warm up and now is at a really comfortable level with me. What helps is when she is on her out-of-cage time sometimes I will lay on the floor and let her jump and walk around on me while staying as still as possible to not scare her. That has seemed to speed the warming up process.

I can't actually answer the poll because my chins are weird.

CrashIntoMe needed a couple of weeks. That's normal.

Could YouBeLove chose me the second I stuck my finger in the cage, so there's no time frame in the poll short enough for "Picked me the instant he saw me".

Champagne Supernova hates me, has hated me since the moment he saw me (same one as YouBe), and will continue to do so until he goes to the Bridge. However, he did help me pick my husband because the minute Hubby got the courage to visit the cage, Nova started acting like a normal, lovey chin... to a total stranger who was a little apprehensive about a 1 pound jumping 'rat' with freaky red eyes that could bite right through his finger, the sexist little twerp. (<-- Said with great affection. I knew what I was getting into getting a rescue. :kiss:)

Back