Are there any dwarf chinchilla breeders in south or central Florida?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirChinchillas

Hello everyone! I recently into my own house and after doing some research have decided to adopt a chinchilla. I am most interested in dwarf chinchillas, and was wondering if there were any in south or central Florida, and if not where I can get them. Thanks in advance!

I can't help with breeders, I have not heard of people specifically breed for dwarfs anywhere. I am curious why you are interested in a chin with dwarfism? I'm not sure how much research you've done, but they can be prone to health issues and that can lead to a shorted life span. It's a recessive mutation, so to intentionally get them specifically you would likely be dealing with a lot of inbreeding. Inbreeding can cause issue itself, but when you have an animal that is already prone to health issues it's not a good idea to breed it to another that is prone to the same issues. They do happen from time to time in breeding, but I don't think it's a good idea to be intentionally breeding for them. Dwarfs, when they happen, are normally removed from breeding.

My first chin was a dwarf (we didn't know when we bought her, we got her at a pet store), she had seizures and only live a few years, chins normally live 15-20 years.

The only person I can ever remember trying to establish a herd of dwarfs stopped all breeding and got out of chinchillas many years ago. I agree with Amethyst-dwarfs are genetically defective and as such will be prone to many problems.

Back