Can you re-bond chinchillas after blood is drawn?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunlilac

Hi, I wrote out the story of my two current male chinchillas and why they may be fighting but it was a WALL of text, and that was after editing it, so I'm just going to ask the simple question and the point of that wall of text; My chinchillas were bonded, they had a falling out, one of them has drawn blood, is there any hope of them bonding again? I know chinchillas sometimes just decided they don't like their cage mate anymore but I was still going to attempt to re-bond them until I heard that after blood is drawn that they need to stay separated. If there is hope of potentially bonding them again, are there any tips or tricks that would help the process? Thanks!

I personally wouldn't. Once they fight like that, it tends to escalate. You may have calm for a while, but it would be awful if you came home from work one day to find one beaten badly or dead.

Yeah, you're right, I wouldn't want them to suddenly get into a deathly fight. I'm honestly really sad though, they were getting along so great before they started fighting so I was really hoping I could attempt and bond them again :/

Chinchillas have long memories, I have never heard of a successful reintro after a nasty fight.

put the two cages side by side so they can 'talk' to one another but still have their own cage. I know of a case where the 2 chins slept next to each other in their own cages. And no they couldn't be put together because they fought in the same cage

Chinchillas have long memories, I have never heard of a successful reintro after a nasty fight.

That's discouraging to hear. Two of my Chinchillas aren't getting along and I think I'll have to separate them. Do you guys think it's best to separate them early, before things get real heated, or just wait and see?

Back