Cat and chinchilla!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatotakugalaxy

Hello! Recently, we had a horrible accident happen involving one of our feral cats. I was referred here by a friend who said to ask about it, so here it goes.

Yesterday, My little sister had a friend open, she was showing off the chinchilla and did NOT close the cage door. Thats been a rule for the year we've had them. The chinchilla got out, and the cat must've seen them. I just barely noticed it when my cat was running around with the chinchilla in its mouth! I scared the cat off and the chin seemed fine. He just had one tiny little scratch on his foot, which we cleaned up.

We put him in the cage with the other one, which have been together since birth, and they seemed fine. This morning, I woke up to my chin limp inside the cage. We got one of my mothers transport carriers and made a little bed for him. He's been limp all day, and one thing I noticed is that he feels much lighter then before. Usually I'd take a few minutes at his cage before he'd even let me put a finger on him, then i'd be able to pet him. Now, he just let me touch him and pick him up, he makes that little sound sometimes that you hear when they are in distress.

We can't afford to go to the vet right now, as money is Very tight. I was wondering if anyone has had a situation like this before? what do I do?

My mom has rabbits, so she's dealt with similar situations, but chinchilla's are so fragile that we just do not know what to do. We've been giving him water and pedialyte for the day.

If anyone knows what to do in this situation, please do leave a reply. Any help is welcomed, Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0659.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 28
  • IMG_0658.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 28
Its a medical emergency any time a cat and chin mix, cats are bacteria factories and pass deadly sickness to chins, that and being a prey animal in this situation most likely chin chin is in shock not to mention internal injuries. You should not let the chin suffer, emergency vet visit as the best bet, euthanasia should also be on the table since the prognosis IMO is grave.

Thank you, sadly, we couldn’t save him. We couldn’t afford to see a vet due to chinchilla’s being classified as exotic type animals, and those vets are extremely expensive compared to one a dog would go to! My family loved my little senki, but he passed away.. good need is, we have babies from him!

Back