Suddenly lost interest in sticks?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strong Chin

Hello- we've been giving our two chins 3 apple sticks apiece every night since we've had them (6 months). We get them from a great seller on this site, and they've always lost their minds when they see they're about to get them, and sit and chomp away like madchins until they're completely stripped of bark.

Somewhere a fourth of the way through this last batch, they have been more reluctant when they start eating...they chew a bit, then seem to search the stick, then chew a little more. Often they'll leave a couple only half chewed, which they never did before.

There doesn't seem to be mold on them, they look exactly like the others. Sometimes there's that grey "fuzz" but that's been on some of the sticks in every batch for the last 6 months.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do they just not care for this batch for some reason, or should we try a type of wood other than apple?

It is possible the batch is a bit off, got over baked, or something. I would also give them a sniff to make sure they don't smell moldy at all, like dump them all out and check. My guess is the grey fuzz you are referring to is just the winter fuzz apple trees grow in the winter time. It could also be they are getting bored with apple, I offer my guys different types of sticks everyday. Lately I've been picking 2 kinds a night to give them a choice. I've also gone though several to find one they want that day too, pick one, chin tosses it, pick one, chin tosses it, pick one, chin chews it... lol. They do go back to the rejected ones later. Also if the sticks are different then before, like thinner or thicker, some chins do have a preference for that too. If they are otherwise still chewing things normally I wouldn't worry too much about being picky with sticks.

after a while a chin can start to get bored with the same flavor over and over. While it doesnt always mean that they will like a different flavor, changing it up now and then can help. Theres several different kinds of twigs available. Try different kinds.

Back