CareFresh vs Kiln Dried Pine bedding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

808chindad

What is the safest bedding between the two? What are the pros and cons? Fortunately my chins are now potty trained. I was able to use a glass baking pan and limit their space options by placing it in one corner.

You'll want to use either kiln dried pine or aspen shavings. Carefresh is dangerous if swallowed, it's designed to absorb liquid and expand when wet, which is exactly what it does in the chin's gut. Wood shavings on the other hand are something a chin can actually eat and digest. Also from what I hear Carefresh, along with other paper bedding, starts to smell pretty quickly. The only con I can really see with the pine is some people and chins can be allergic to it. Aspen doesn't seem to affect allergies but has no smell to help mask odors like pine does.

Got it!! I got rid of the Carefresh. It worked pretty well with the pee but you were correct when I spotted my chins nibbling at the bedding.

all my chins try to eat there bedding at some point of another. So defiantly never use carefresh paper bedding.

For litter based products, you want either KD pine wood shavings or Aspen wood shavings.
Ceder contains toxic oils that are harmful to chins. Do not use ceder.

Technically, pine contains harmful oils as well. But the Kiln drieing processes eliminates most of those oils. What remains are only trace amounts. While it can still be problematic for smaller rodents like mice and rats, chins are usually ok with it.

Aspen, as far as i know, has no issues.

Back