Hi! new to chinchillas just a couple questions.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_S

Hi there I just recently got my chinchilla and took him to the vet his name's puff(weird name for a male I know:hilarious: but anyway I had taken him to the vet and he has a parasite. I'm in the process if treating as of today. I've noticed that as I burrito him(which is already difficult) he begins to shake and become quite stressed. He tends to sleep outside his hide and balls up on top of his hide alot is this normal? Also I have a new cage as the one given o me is kind of small for him is the stress of medication a new home and a new cage too much? Idk if I should wait till the medications been done to move him? Sorry this is so long but.i love this little guy to pieces and want to do right by him so he can have the best quality of life possible:)

If you just got him I would say yes the new home, new cage, being handled(which most chins don't like), and being force fed meds, each on their own would stress a chin out, let alone all at the same time. I would wait until you have finished the meds to switch cages on him, at least allow him something that is familiar and he knows is safe. If possible once the meds are done move as much from the old cage into the new one so he still has things that smell like him. You can replace things later that need replacing, but it's best to try to switch cages and stuff over slowly if you can.

It's possible he is sleeping on top of the hiding house because he doesn't feel safe inside it yet since he can't see everything going on around him. He has no reason to trust you yet, and many reasons (in his mind) not to. Give it time, once he is healthy again you can work on earning his trust and he will likely relax and use the hiding house properly.

Thank you so much for the advice now I'll definitely wait to switch his cage till his medication has completed and will be moving everything to his new cage once I do move him and will stay patient!

Back