Best food?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainierainbow

So I know there are a ton of other people asking this but I'm still not sure. What is the best food? Whenever I got my chin he came with a bag of guinea pig food which I thought was weird but they said it was ok. It is the kind that has pellets and a bunch of other little shapes, dexter would just eat the little shapes and got diarrhea. I took out the shapes and it cleared up. But I want to find a good chinchilla food to make sure he is healthy. The only chinchilla food i can get locally that isn't mixed Pellets is oxbow. Is that good? Or is the mixed stuff for chins ok? Thanks!

There is no one food that is considered "best". Good brands are Oxbow, Mazuri, Tradition, and some rabbit feeds such as Manna Pro & Nutrena, and one from Purina but I can never remember the full name.

You don't want any pellets with things mixed in with them- a good quality feed has only pellets. Chins tend to pick out the treats and leave the pellets behind. Oxbow is a good pellet to feed. I have used it in the past and was very happy with it. You can also buy good feeds from some of our suppliers on here- check the Chin Supplies section.

Yeah I'd definitely get rid of the guinea pig food. I use Manna Pro Rabbit as well, but that's mostly because I have several chins to feed and I can get that in 50lb bags. Mazuri and Oxbow would be my choice if I only had one or two :) Good luck with your chinnie!!

Back