Hay Consumption?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mircat

Hi, I'm a bit curious as to what amount of hay is to be consumed by a chinchilla per day. I only have one boy, and he doesn't really eat his hay. At first I had him on Oxbow timothy and he was eating it normally, but then stopped. I thought the hay must have not been too fresh anymore, so I trashed it and went out and got a bag of Oxbow Orchard Grass. He loved the first few strands I gave him by hand, and for the first day or two he ate a bit more hay but then stopped again. He used to have a hay rack that goes inside the cage, and has a dish attached but I took it out because he would sit on the dish to reach the hay and end up pooping in his pellets. Now he has a regular hay rack that's on the outside of the cage, but its set low and he can reach all of it. But he still doesn't eat much hay. What's wrong with him? He does eat pellets and drinks a lot of water and his poops are normal (small, dark, not too dry or wet). He hasn't lost weight either, he's actually gained weight this past month. Help?

I would nix the hay rack and toss the hay on the shelf and see if that helps, some chins are just pellet hogs, for those chins I like to offer a hay buffet, 1st cut, 2nd cut, alfalfa and something else like orchard grass or oat hay, mix together and toss in a pile.

I've found that our chinchillas like the stemmy hay. If it's soft and leafy, they'll munch on it but they don't eat a lot of it. I agree with Dawn, offer a mix and see if that makes a difference.

My girls are kinda like that. They will eat a little bit of hay and then lose interest. I've bought a bunch of different brands/types and some they like better than others but always seem to lose interest. I am gonna try doing what Dawn suggested and ditch the hay rack and mix a bunch together on a shelf. Maybe they might like eating off there better.. who knows.. lol

Hmm I'll try you guys's suggestions. I've actually given him oat hay because its course and crunchy but he won't touch that at all.

I agree with trying a mix of hay. One of my three girls will eat hay, but she would rather eat pellets. My other two are hay hogs, actually they are food hogs in general.

Sigma goes through phases. There are some days where the hay rack is completely empty. And some where it'll go a couple days sitting there 'til he gets around to eating it. I switch off different hays every now and then. He likes a mix of Meadow, Oat, and Timothy hay. There are little pieces of wood that are covered with a light shaving of alfalfa hay that I give as a treat once every 10 days or so that he enjoys as well.

My Mazlow will only eat the pieces of hay with the 'fuzzy' things on the end and the leafy stuff. He'll throw the other stuff outside of the cage. I tried to put it back and he looked at me like 'Mum, no, stop. I threw it for a reason!' My little girl Willow will only eat the thicker stem pieces.

Back