How long until bad?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devi Xiao

How long should you keep pellets and hay before they go bad? I've heard that 3 months is the general rule of thumb, but could I push it to 4 or 5?

If you keep the pellets in a cool, dry place, they should be alright for a little over 4 months. It isn't ideal...ideally it would be best to have fresh pellets every two to four weeks.

Hay will last quite awhile longer than pellets as long as it is a cool, dry, dark place and does not mold. It will dry out over time, that doesn't make it bad to use - the chins just may not want to eat it if it isn't fresh enough for their liking.

If kept cool and dry 6 months is no problem. Some vitamins and minerals will start to lose their potency over time but it takes a long time to actually go bad or lose so much as to not provide what the animal needs. Of course the fresher the better.

As long as it's stored properly in a cool dry place, feed is good up to 6 months from the mill date. Some feeds will list an expiration date one year past the mill date but I recall reading that certain vitamins will begin to degrade by around 6 months.

My feed is milled locally and I generally buy enough to last me about 2-3 months.

Back