"All Living Things" Chinchilla Daily Diet. good? or bad?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wall-E Kips

hello, i currently have a one year old chin who i've been feeding the "all living things" brand of pellets. my concern with the food is that there are other bits mixed in with the pellets that i notice my chin is favoring over the pellets itself (he IS also eating the pellets.) i'm afraid he isn't getting the correct amount of "goods" verses all the "bad" bits. another one of my concerns is that "all living things" is a brand put out by Petsmart which i am skeptical about. after educating myself through this site, i've seen a lot of products put out on market shelves that are NOT chinchilla-safe. (ex: plastic bowls, unsafe wood chews etc.) As i would like to strive to make sure my chin is provided with the best diet he can have, i would like to know if it is okay to continue to feed him this brand of food or should i quickly look for another. i'm sorry this is a long post but to simplify it:

A.) is "all living things" a good brand to feed my chin?

B.) can anyone recommend a good brand of food?

thank you in advance!

I wouldn't continue to use it. They really only need the basic pellets and not all the other junk that gets put into that brand of feed. You can buy a much better feed for a lot less money by going to a ranch supply store of some sort. I personally get my feed at Tractor Supply Company, and I use Purina Rabbit Chow Show. I get a 50 lb bag for just under $20 and that lasts me quite a while even with the number of animals I have. I've also bought Manna Pro Sho but of the two choices it seems that all but one of my animals prefer the PRCS.

I also use Purina Rabbit Chow Show. Other good foods available at most PetSmart stores are: Oxbow Chinchilla and Mazuri (I prefer Oxbow between the two). I would avoid any of the foods with bits other than pellets in them.

thanks so much guys. i had a feeling he shouldn't eat those other "fillers"...especially since i noticed Wall-E favoring them. we have some stores down here in southern oregon that carry farm and ranch supplies and goods. i'll check it out with the GF asap. thank you again for the replies! :D

The only thing I buy at the petstore is Oxbow hay, otherwise I stay away. I feed Tradition pellets because they're good for chins, and easy for me to get (I order from Sandi on this forum :-D ). I don't buy any of the treats or chew toys at the petstore because there is no way of knowing if they've been cleaned properly. I buy wood chews from AZ chins (again on this forum). Or if I'm feeling REALLY ambitious I'll bake my own wood. I have one chin with dietary issues, so I did away with 'treats' years ago, but I do feed herbal supplements from fuzzieskingdom.

Back